cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Symmetry

FredMatthis
1-Newbie

Symmetry

I thought I saw somewhere that if you have a block with the width called out as a datum
and you have a hole "shown" in the center without a dimension, that it is ok to assume the hole is in the center of the block width.
Does anyone know if this true and where does it say that in ASTM specs.

Fred J. Matthis
-
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

you would need to apply a true position callout to the hole referencing the datum

I don't have the specification doc in front of me, but I think that would be stretching the concept.

I believe that symmetry is assumed for features, and not just bilaterial, but also rotational especially when relating to a pattern of features such as a bolt circle. I seem to recall that the spec says something like: 'neither scaling, nor assumption of a distance or size is permitted'. This gets tricky because features drawn at approx. 90 degrees as explicitly noted to be orthogonal.

In the case of a rectangular block with the overall width and height dimensions shown and a central hole shown, dims from one set of edges to the hole must be shown so as not to make assumptions of distance.

The perimeter of the block is assumed to be nominally at 90 degrees, and the hole is taken to be orthogonal to the view that the hole size dim is shown.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317

I was just looking thu ASME Y14.5M-2009 this morning for another issue and saw very close to exactly that. The key is that the Datum is tagged to the dimension and not an edge. Tagged to the linear dimension it is defining the center plane of that dimension. If your hole is ON that plane AND you have a true position callout on the hole, then you are fine, at least in the one direction. Essentially, with the true position you need basic dimensions to the reference datums, but the hole is 0.0 to datum in question...

Sadly, and almost expectedly, I cannot find the figure I noticed... maybe it was in some other reference... sorry...

Paul just confirmed what I said but you do need a basic dimension for the height

Thanks to everyone.
I do appreciate the good responses I get from ptcuser's.
It seems that this is a common practice but is not really documented anywhere.
I also see that is used in a number of training manuals.
I will probably place a dimension when there might be some confusion,
such as when showing small geometry and skip the dimension
when it easy understood.
Thanks again.

Fred J. Matthis
-

Creo Gurus,

I am in Creo 2 and am trying to use Creo Simulate lite and this is the message it gives me. Could this be a software load problem or is configuration issue or something else entirely?

[cid:image001.png@01CFBDF2.DC01E240]

Regards,

Jim Jakubos
Project Engineer
Rexair, LLC
-

231-876-3934

Ronald,

Thanks for the response. So, is it likely that file was not loaded when Creo was installed or what. I searched for that file name in my Creo directory on my machine and did not find it.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Regards,

Jim Jakubos
Project Engineer
Rexair, LLC
-

231-876-3934
Top Tags