cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Thermal analysis with interference fit

ptc-6362412
1-Newbie

Thermal analysis with interference fit

Hi,

I have a shaft that is pressfit into a stack of thin plates. I want to determine the point in time that the interference fit between the plates and shaft will be at a minimum if I heat the outer diameter of the stack at a certain temperature. I have simplified the model down to one plate and a center shaft of the same thickness as the plate. This should be a good representation since the plates have insulation on the main faces. I won't have to worry about convection stealing heat off the plates on the end, making them cooler than the plates near the middle of the stack. I am using Simulate in Creo 2.0.

Note: The center shaft has a slightly higher coefficient of thermal expansion, though both are steel and they are pretty close.

I have a counterpart using Abaqus, and it's telling him that it will completely release the center shaft relatively quickly before the shaft even starts heating up. However, real tests in the shop show that this isn't the case.

I have been trying different things in Simulate and I'm coming up with nothing that works.

Is it possible to do a transient thermal analysis with an assembly with different materials that have a press fit, and get a MecT output that I can put into a structural analysis that will then output the expansions at each time step in a way that I can see the point where interference is at a minimum or even relieved?

If it's not possible to do an assembly with different materials present, can I do the same, but with just the outer plate? I am trying that, but when I try to setup the structural analysis and insert the MecT temp load it tells me "Step 1 is invalid. Select a different time step." I don't see anywhere to select a time step. I have tried starting with transient thermal analyses that start at 0 and at 1, and running to 40 steps (the 40th being 500 seconds).

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Sorry for the slow reply. It does not appear to be possible. We've started using Abaqus for this one.

Maybe related to requiring checking specific result options (e.g. Full Result, Temp load...)

Top Tags