cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Tolerance Does Not Round Properly

Kevin76
6-Contributor

Tolerance Does Not Round Properly

I have a dimension, with decimal places set to 2 and the config truncates trailing 0s, (MM[INCH])of 200 +10/0 [7.87 +.39/0]. When I change the decimal places from 2 to 1, my dimension becomes 200 +10/-0 [7.9 +.3/-0]. Shouldn't the tolerance of the 7.9 round to +.4/-0? I have seen this happen on other dimensions of metric parts, is there a config setting we need to fix or is this a problem with Pro?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

try this one in the dtl file for the drawing "dual_digits_diff " set this to 0 you should be able to get what you need . Chander.

Thanks, but that did not work. I even created a new dimension, no change.

Please do set the "lead_trail_zeros" value to both.

That is already set to "both" by our .dtl that loads on startup.

"Kevin Dixon" wrote:

I have a dimension, with decimal places set to 2 and the config truncates trailing 0s, (MM[INCH])of 200 +10/0 [7.87 +.39/0]. When I change the decimal places from 2 to 1, my dimension becomes 200 +10/-0 [7.9 +.3/-0]. Shouldn't the tolerance of the 7.9 round to +.4/-0? I have seen this happen on other dimensions of metric parts, is there a config setting we need to fix or is this a problem with Pro?

Hello Kevin, It is how ProE and most other CAD packages behave. ProE rounds the secondary unit so that the secondary unit tolerance is less than the primary unit tolerance. Example: A part at 8.3 (7.9+.4) inches is 210.82mm which is outside the the primary dimension tolerance range, where as 8.2 (7.9+.3) inches is 208.28mm which is within the primary dimension tolerance range. Note that Dual Dimensioning is discouraged in ANSI Y14.5M and I doubt ISO standards support it. When dual dimensioning is used the secondary unit should be considered a reference dimension. Best regards-
Kevin76
6-Contributor
(To:cfitzgerald-2)

Chris, thanks for the explanation, I never considered the range of the tolerance being in or out of scope, which makes complete sense. Now, if I can only get my Engineers to understand that concept so that they will accept it. As for Dual Dimensioning not being recommended by ANSI Y14.5M and ISO, this I am well aware of. Unfortunately, there is more than the obvious regarding these drawings, so my hands are tied with the dual dimensioning.
Top Tags