cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Update the MODEL_CHECK parameter when ModelCHECK is run.

kfry
8-Gravel

Update the MODEL_CHECK parameter when ModelCHECK is run.

This is related to CS28839.

This Product Idea is to allow the customer to select when the MODEL_CHECK parameter should be updated.  Today, it is based on some hard-coded (faulty) logic.

When ModelCHECK is run, the MODEL_CHECK parameter is not always updated.  It depends on whether the model has been changed.  The exact wording from PTC is "ModelCHECK does not update the MODEL_CHECK parameter if the model is not modified."  There are a couple of things wrong with that philosophy.

First, even though the MODEL_CHECK parameter isn't updated, it still runs ModelCHECK.  That is inconsistent.  If ModelCHECK is run, then I would expect the related parameters to reflect that.  If we apply the PTC logic for the case where the model truly hasn't changed, there's no need to run ModelCHECK at all.  Why have the user wait for ModelCHECK to finish, review the results (which haven't changed since the last time), and check to see if the MODEL_CHECK parameter was updated?  There is no value-add in those steps, but that's exactly how it works today.

Second, for those customers who use check-in blocking in Windchill, the MODEL_CHECK parameter is one way to verify that ModelCHECK has been run within a specified time period.  If that MODEL_CHECK parameter is not updated, then the user cannot check it back in.  The work-around is to force some kind of change, then cancel or back out of that change, then re-run ModelCHECK so it triggers the update to the MODEL_CHECK parameter.  Again, there's no value-add in those steps.

Any help would be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
lhemminger
7-Bedrock
(To:kfry)

I vote for this.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Lynne Hemminger, you need to click the up-vote button next to the vote count for your vote to be recorded.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
lhemminger
7-Bedrock

Thanks!

llie
16-Pearl

All,

It works exactly like it should. There are many new options that I thought I understood, but as we dug into each and every setting it opened my eyes.

If you change a parameter, that means that the part gets "+" and a change has been made. This changes the model iteration from A.1 to A.2. If your model didn't physically change, why would you want a new iteration?

First Point:

There is a config_init.mc option that you can set to skip models that have not changed. Also in your condition.mmc you can set the NOCHECK states. For example if a model is at Release, ModelCHECK will skip it.

Value Added:

Again, why would you want to create a new iteration of a model that has not changed? What if this is a model that others use, you could totally mess up other designs. Another value is that users don't accidently iterate a part that they didn't intentionally mean to touch, this is huge as I work Creo/Windchill support.

Second Point:

ModelCHECK Gatekeeper is too strict. As for the issue of the user not being able to check in the file if it has NOT been modified, then they need to do an undo-check out. Windchill does not allow a model to be checked in if it has not changed.

Value Added:

Windchill works correct as the software makes sure that a change has occurred which changes the iteration and then it will allow you to check in the model. If there isn't a "+" in your workspace then it hasn't changed and users need to do an Undo Check Out.

You are creating a work around to intentionally force a check in of a part that didn't physically change. Why do you need to change the ModelCHECK parameter of a file that has not changed just to check it back in? Use Undo Check Out

We did a deep dive into all the settings including Gatekeeper. I would be willing to share more knowledge and setup options. I am sorry but you are creating more unnecessary work.

If you are going to PTC Live, I can sit down with you and show you our options.

kfry
8-Gravel

Looks like PTC is working on this.  Activity with Case 12547533 shows they created a test dll for ModelCHECK and added a new setting for the config_init.mc file.  Keep your fingers crossed that they'll be able to implement soon.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

llie wrote:

If you change a parameter, that means that the part gets "+" and a change has been made. This changes the model iteration from A.1 to A.2.

llie,

Just to clarify...the iteration doesn't change if all you do is modify the CAD file and save it.  You have to check it in to Windchill.  After it's checked in there is no more "+".  I'm sure you know that but there might be others out there that are not familiar with the process.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of what you mentioned.  The model should have been run the last time it was checked in (unless the model is older than when modelcheck was first used) so why would you want to run it and waste the time.  Especially if it's a large assembly.

Keith

You said it yourself.  The file hasn't changed since the last time.  It sounds like you want to get that parameter to update just so it's marked that way in the database or where ever it's stored even though, according to you, nothing else changed on it.  If that's the case then create a mapkey that does three things.  1) Make a change to something that is on every file you touch 2) Undo the change 3) Run modelcheck.  Or the mapkey can just two things by running the model player to get it to regen then run modelcheck.  Either way you are doing one thing by running the mapkey.

If only updating the parameter is not the intention then I echo llie's question.  Why would you want the parameter to change if you didn't change the file?

Top Tags