cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Upgrading Pro and Intralink

ptc-169947
1-Newbie

Upgrading Pro and Intralink

Hi all,

Posting to both lists and sorry about the long intro.

We're (still) on Wildfire 2 and Intralink 3.3
The original plan was to move to Wildfire 5 (or Creo 1) and Windchill.
We have numerous sites globally, some using ProE, some Solidworks, some Intralink or PDMWorks, and some with no data manager. Basically a pretty disjointed CAD environment.
Management has decided that we're going to use Agile EC (which will also replace Intralink, instead of Windchill).
Although Agile EC is slated to Go Live at one of our sites early next year, it may be a long while before a global implementation happens. Meanwhile we're still on WF2.

To at least move forward, we're thinking of getting the (2) sites using WF2 and Intralink 3.3 upgraded to WF4 and Intralink 3.4 until the EC implementation is complete.
The problem is that our IT dept has been virtually gutted, especially CAD support, including our admin.
I am not an IT guru but am the closest thing to a ProE admin (which isn't saying much).

Can anyone offer any advice or point me to decent documentation on moving from WF2 to WF4, and 3.3 to 3.4?
I imagine it's not horribly difficult, and I may be able to get some IT help, but need to know what I'm up against.

Thanks for any input,

Stefan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Stefan,

IMHO, I say stay right where you are with WF2 and Intralink 3. By far, WF3 was much more stable than WF4 and is not worth it. In addition, the benefit vs.painis simplynot justifiable eitherfor a move only to WF4.You currently happen to be at the peak of greatness withthe "old technology" and would be behind the productivity curve with the new stuff. By only going to 5 you will spend oodles of time=$$$ getting back to speed only to be a year(+) behind.

Keep in mind, at this point a move to WF5 will also require a jump to Winchill which is:

1. Expensive.

2. Steep learning curve for mostcoming from Intralink.

3. Is changing as I write this to Windchill 10 (All new interface).

4. WF5 is already old software as Creo is the New Kid on the Block.

I suggest a move to Creo Parametricmid/late2012 when you have:

1. The Staff to support the jump.

2. The money to support the jump.

3.A new year's energy to make the jump

I say proceed cautiously and get the "whole" picture cost-wise before making the move.

Hope it helps,

Dean

I'm completely with you, Dean. Our you move to the latest decent technology, or you stay where you are. I'm sorry, Stefan.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Best regards,

Hugo.

Stefan,

Some of the things to know about upgrading from Pro/I 3.3 to 3.4 is:

You are probably currently running Windows 2000 Server on the server. You would need to upgrade the server operating system to Windows 2003 Server. Some IT departments want to do this upgrade just to get away from the older operating system. Because of the operating system change, it is easier to use a newcomputer for the new operating system.

The upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 requires an Oracle upgrade (not a problem, done it a few times without any glitches). The software and installation instructions all come from PTC. I could send you my list of versions to use and the sequence to install.

Finally, the reason to update. When you can't open files from other vendors, the software you have is too old and needs to be updated regardless of future events (upgrades on a corporate level).

I'm a firm believer in keeping up to date. If you decide to upgrade, let me know and I would help you through the process. You won't get much 'bang for the buck' when going from 3.3 to 3.4, but I have enjoyed some of the changes in Wildfire 4 build m130 (no glitches) vs. Wildfire 2

Kenny Mc

Top Tags