cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Using existing part geometry as reference for new part

ptc-5116403
1-Newbie

Using existing part geometry as reference for new part

How does one use an existing part to design a new mating part using the already existing part as a reference? For example, if you want to design a gasket with tight tolerances for a machine with oddly placed holes.

Thank you in advance for sharing and helping this troubled engineer.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the assembly, right click the component in the model tree that you want to create features for and "activate" it. While still in the assembly, you can now reference features from other components to make features in the newly active model.

Be careful, however, as you now built in dependencies to the other models you reference. I would recommend breaking those relation in the modified part at some point if this is a rare occurrence.

To re-activate the assembly, right click the assembly in the model tree and "activate".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

In the assembly, right click the component in the model tree that you want to create features for and "activate" it. While still in the assembly, you can now reference features from other components to make features in the newly active model.

Be careful, however, as you now built in dependencies to the other models you reference. I would recommend breaking those relation in the modified part at some point if this is a rare occurrence.

To re-activate the assembly, right click the assembly in the model tree and "activate".

Forgot to thank you. This really helped. Much appreciated.

Happy to help

Hi Antonius,

Need the tutorials for assmebly drawing in creo.. that includes the dimensioning, orientation of drawing etc., kindly help me with some links that contain tutorials regarding drawing in creo 2.0

Thanks & regards

Hello Dinesh. Please start a new discussion on the subject so we can keep things organized. Thank you.

thank you Mr.Antomius i made it as a separate discussion

Top Tags