cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Using skeletons to drive cables?

DavidFrancis
1-Newbie

Using skeletons to drive cables?

Hello,

We have the cabling and RSD modules, however, our product is so dynamic and quick turn around we feel it is time prohibitive to set up all of this detail in advance for each project. Therfore, we are investigating ways to use a skeleton or other techniques to drive and route our cables.

Any ideas, tips, techniques you can share?

Thanks in advance,

David T. Francis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

In Reply to David Francis:

Sounds good Phil!

We currently bring schematics out of Allegro and into AutoCAD (I don’t know why? Being done before I got here) then into ProE to drive cables. I have heard there is a neutral netlist file that orcad can export (.nwf I believe, still reserarching, that ProE can read directly).

Typically we will have a spline with a csys on either end with the Z axis pointing down the curve (i.e., away from the connector), then we can associate to the fact/hole of the connector and wherever the connector goes, so does the csys (i.e., spline end), then have edit points along the spline to tug on and route. Then drive the cable(s) relative to this spline.

That is how we do it now…. I would like some more control on tangency and curvature and am considering putting constraints at each to the definition points such as csys, or axes to help define/maintain curvature.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

David,

We too are in a similar situation as far as product change frequency. Recently we’ve been investigating cabling packages that will work with PTC’s mechanical design product line AND allow us to define much if not all of the cable in the 2D space then convert to 3D when we’re ready. We haven’t found anything yet that will allow us to do it so we’re putting it on the back burner. I hadn’t thought of using skeletons to drive cables so I’m not sure if it would allow us to achieve the goal or not. I’d be interested in any responses you get if it is not a bother.

Phillip Buckhannon

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello,

We have the cabling and RSD modules, however, our product is so dynamic and quick turn around we feel it is time prohibitive to set up all of this detail in advance for each project. Therfore, we are investigating ways to use a skeleton or other techniques to drive and route our cables.

Any ideas, tips, techniques you can share?

Thanks in advance,

David T. Francis

David T. Francis

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags