cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Values of measures from load steps of non-linear analysis

sandersen
1-Newbie

Values of measures from load steps of non-linear analysis

Hi,

I would like to export the values of the pre-defined measures for fasteners from the first load step in a non-linear analysis in Creo 2.0.

The background is that I analyze many flanged assemblies with numerous fasteners. When I have added the fasteners to a model I run an extra analysis to calibrate the preload force before I run the actual analysis with loads applied. When the design changes significantly I need to re-calibrate the preload forces for the fasteners.

I currently perform the extra analysis for calibrating the preload by making a separate contact analysis with only an insignificant load (I suppress the real loads). Based on the results from the first analysis I then adjust the preload forces of the fasteners, un-suppress the real loads, and run a new contact analysis to get the results I need.

Instead of using this procedure I would like to apply my best guess for the preload forces and run a contact analysis with all loads applied. From the second load step (Time = 1.0) I would then see the solution with my best guess for the axial preload forces. Based on these results I could decide if I wish to see results with calibrated preload forces. If I decide to re-run the analysis with calibrated preload forces then I would like to extract the values of the measures from the first load step (Time = 0.0) to obtain the data I need for calibrating the preload forces.

In the summary file I find the values of the measures only for the last load step. The only way I have found to get the values of the measures from the first load step is to go to results, choose graph, and then look at the measures individually in the graphs, and export the graph data to Excel. But this is an extremely cumbersome way to get the axial forces from 40 fasteners...

The data I need is available in the solution, but I cannot figure out a good way to get the data out of Creo. Is it possible to export the data for the measures from the first load step in a more sensible way in Creo 2.0?

Best Regards and thank you in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ehaenen
4-Participant
(To:sandersen)

Hi Stig

The measures are in the "analysis-name".res file in the results directory.

This is an Ascii file that you can read with notepad, or even excel.

You get a list of the measure names and then the results for each step for all of these measures ( in the same order as in the list).

Look if this can help you.

Regards

Erik

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ehaenen
4-Participant
(To:sandersen)

Hi Stig

The measures are in the "analysis-name".res file in the results directory.

This is an Ascii file that you can read with notepad, or even excel.

You get a list of the measure names and then the results for each step for all of these measures ( in the same order as in the list).

Look if this can help you.

Regards

Erik

Hi Erik

Thank you for your help. I can find the values in the text file.

For PTC:

1) The fomat in the res file could be more user friendly (or another file could be added with a more user friendly format, e.g. a simple table with one column of values for each load step). I am convinced that the possibility of getting the values of all measures at all load steps in a table that is easy to load into Excel could be genuinely useful for many analysts.

2) It would be great if the text file was written after each load step, and not only when the simulation is complete. Then it would be possible to work on the first values while the rest of the load steps were being completed.

Best Regards and Thank you

Top Tags