cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Very slow rendering/overall performance. Workstation lacking!

ptc-4608256
1-Newbie

Very slow rendering/overall performance. Workstation lacking!

Running Parametric 2.0 and I'm sure my workstation is not up to the job. I'm trying to figure out where the money has to be spent to obtain better performance.

Overall Problem: Very slow surface rendering, regeneration, and working on any type of part features.

Current Workstation:

DELL Studio 435

Windows 8

64-bit

12 GB Ram

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500

I realize the graphics card is a must, I am considering the Nvidia GeForce GTX series, not sure what model. Do you think the processor is limiting things as well?

I am looking to do more basic part design, assemblies under 50 parts. Essentially small plastic part modeling and assembling.

Opinions?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

For Pro/E, the math co-processer is important, but not as much as for a PC that will be doing analysis. For Pro/E, the best bet is to get the best (read: most expensive) Nvidia graphics card you can afford.

Hey Frank,

Is there still a discrete 'math co-pro' in a modern CPU, and if so, are there significant differences between different CPUs (say a Xeon versus a Core 2 Quad)? I haven't heard that term since the days of 386 SX/DX...

To the OP: I'm going to guess graphics card, as a Radeon 43xx/45xx only scores around 200 on Passmark (http://videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php) - our nVidia FX 3800s are a few years old now but score 850 - and because you mention rendering, which I think uses the GPU fairly heavily.

The i7 920 isn't the fastest thing out there for single-threaded use but still looks healthy, and in general your system looks fine, unless there's a conflict between Creo and, say, Windows 8.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Per another similar discussion running at the moment, look up PTC's official list of compatible hardware and choose from that. At least then you can complain to PTC when it doesn't work...

(Disclaimer: Passmark isn't the be-all and end-all, but it's a useful quick comparison between different hardware.)

Top Tags