cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Ways to prevent rotation in Simulate (Creo 3.0)

dlloyd-2
1-Newbie

Ways to prevent rotation in Simulate (Creo 3.0)

Hi,

I am analyzing a shackle that is pinned to a bushing.  The assembly has 2 rotational degrees of freedom.  For the analysis, I am simulating a strap pulling on the shackle with a force on the surface of the shackle.

When the strap is loaded, the shackle and bushing assembly will orient itself, not be rotating.  I am trying to simulate this by adding rotational constrains to prevent rotation when it is loaded.

I have tried to ways so far, but both do not seem to produce accurate results:

1. I applied infinite friction between all the contacts that allow rotation.

2. I applied pin constraints with rotation fixed and translation free.  This seems to prevent BOTH rotation and translation, as the results showed only the shackle deforming, without the load going through the connections.

Does anyone else have any ways to constrain rotation?

Shackle.PNG

1 REPLY 1
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:dlloyd-2)

Derrick,

You have to permit rotation of the pin and yellow part.

You have to permit rotation of the shackle.

There is chance are that there will be large movements and you may need large deformation ON. Best avoid this if possible

by aligning you shackle/pin (geometry) with the force you intend to apply.

'Light' point to point springs between neighbouring parts that rotate relative to each other add stiffness against free rotational movement.

Choice of stiffness rationale .... Assume you are applying 10kN to the shackle, forces in the springs (create measures) should be a few hundred N so that their contribution is small. Confirm that spring forces are a small percentage of the contact forces. You may need a couple of bites at the apple.

Top Tags