cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

What is easiest way to perform a cross sectional compare along length of models

pimm
14-Alexandrite

What is easiest way to perform a cross sectional compare along length of models

I would like to take numerous cross sectional slices through the same regions of several models to compare their relative areas.  Each model would have the same basic shape; it would just be different forming stages.

Would there be any shortcuts in obtaining this information?

1) There will be up to 10 planes that would be somewhat equally spaced along a central curve that does have some lock and side to side variation.

2) There will be 4 different models that I want to compare areas increment by increment through each of the 10 planes.

Being of limited knowledge in this area the only way I can see this done is perhaps assembling all the models together and building the planes within the assembly.  After this I would need to build 40 separate sketches which I would need to fill to obtain each of 40 sketches to get the needed areas.

I know there has to be an easier way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jbob
11-Garnet
(To:pimm)

Under the Analysis tab there is a Section Thickness check. From here you can select existing planes or create slices through your part at whatever off you require. Once calculated you will see the area for all sections selected or slices created.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Under the analyis tab - mass properties drop down arrow, choose x-section mass properties, then you can choose an existing datum or existing cross section, the first thing it tells you is AREA.

At least you won't have to do sketches and such.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:StephenW)

Steven:  Thank you, your suggestion will save considerable time.  40 sketches and 40 fills that won't be needed!

Beyond this I am hoping that there might be a way of accelerating the accumulation of data for all of the cross sections.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I was trying to think of faster ways.

You could use an assy (like your idea) and suppress /resume parts but your plans would be in the assy so they would be consistent.

You could make a mapkey to make the screen picks.

You could make an analysis feature, not sure if that would be faster than the mapkeys though.

I'm generally a grind it out kind of guy so I'm definitely not the right guy but between the assembly and the mapkeys, you would go pretty quick and it would be easily repeatable

jbob
11-Garnet

Under the Analysis tab there is a Section Thickness check. From here you can select existing planes or create slices through your part at whatever off you require. Once calculated you will see the area for all sections selected or slices created.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:jbob)

That is awesome!

This does make a table of all of the selected datum planes with the areas.

If there was an easy way to import in excel it would do the job all by itself.

I know that you can save a .dat file which can be converted to import into excel.  This would save a little time over copying manually.

Thank you!

Top Tags