cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

What is the best way to send out pro/e files

JoeFrancz
1-Newbie

What is the best way to send out pro/e files

I am looking for some help on the best way(file format) to send out a pro/e top level assembly file to a vendor. I would like the vendor to see the main components but none of the sub-components. I was thinking of making a shrink wrap of the five (5) main components that make up the top level assembly and then creating another top level assembly with just the shrinkwrap assemblies.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Somehow my questions never made it. Here is what I am looking for assistance with

I am looking for some help on the best way(file format) to send out a pro/e top level assembly file to a vendor. I would like the vendor to see the main components but none of the sub-components. I was thinking of making a shrink wrap of the five (5) main components that make up the top level assembly and then creating another top level assembly with just the shrinkwrap assemblies.

Who are you sending them to?

For dies / molds we usually send data in .STEP format.

We try to use 'native' translators (transmagic) for design data to
customers with attributes like notes, datum location points, etc...
This doesn't seem to come over too well for us in STEP.

I wish someone like Adobe would come in and 'own' this problem with a
'free' app like acrobat3D, etc... When Google owned Sketchup, I had
hoped that they would get serious about this.

No joy yet for models with a feature history.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

We are sending the assembly to an engine vendor. They would like to pull off the enclosure to mount an engine on the frame. I tried the step file but it sends out all the components that make up the frame weldment (which we don't want them to have) as well as all the components that make up the enclosure.

My thought was to create a shrink wrap of the frame weldment and one of the enclosure and then assemble these shrinkwraps into another assembly file, then create the step file from this and send that to them. Just looking for a shorter way to do this.

A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:JoeFrancz)

You could possibly create a "Merged" part if that would hide the data
sufficiently. Then when you did a STEP export, you would have one big
part representing the sub-components.

Have you tried playing with the options found when creating an IGES from an Assembly under "File Structure"?

Flat

One Level

All Levels

All Parts

Maybe a combination of these options will work for you. You can create an IGES of an assembly as one big part, as separate components and I think of sub-assemblies.

I will be honest and say that I have not played with these options in a long time so it may not work for you. I remember playing with the different options in the past to find a combination that worked for a similar situation you have. If I had the time to test the options myself I would but I am too busy at the moment. I am sure you can play with these and see what results each give you when in an assembly and maybe find something that outputs what you are looking for.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:JoeFrancz)

You can hide the components you don't want to include then make the step file. Only the visible components will be in the step file.

In Reply to Joe francz:

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

You cancreate a vendor specificsimplified rep of the assemblythat excludes all parts except theparts you want to send to that vendor. Then export the step file.

The rep can then be easily recalled If you need re-issue amodified set of the same parts.

Hello Tony

I made a similar question in this forum some time ago. I am investigating
the way of sending out our 3D’s but without too much Proprietary
Information.

How important is it for you to hide your Proprietary Information (IP)?

If it is not important you can try to export to IGES, then import to ProE.
The assembly will convert to a Part. You can go to Legacy Mode (if you have
the license) and remove the surfaces you don’t like.

You have other choices:

1. Merge parts (may not work if there are assembly cuts)

2. Copy geoms (one for each part, exact geometry)

3. Shrinkwraps (sometimes don’t work, no control of simplification)

4. Completely new parts (we tried this, you need to have people
full-time with this. Lots of work, although you have a lot of control)

5. 3rd party Simplification program from the real design (expensive,
this is what I am testing now)

The 3rd party program we want to test is called 3Devolution Simplifier from
Coretechnologie. You take a design from ProE and can remove, merge, heal,
create surfaces, etc. Like Creo Direct but more powerful. Lots of options
and possibilities.

The example they show is a motor full of gears where the program makes a
good job removing the inners and leaving only the outside, so maybe it would
work well for you (our product is not so easy to simplify, because it is not
so clear what is inside and outside).

The price of the program is around 20000 euro, so it is only useful if you
plan to use it many times. There are similar programs in the market for