cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Why do models colors and/or lighting (shaded mode) look so horrible in Wildfire/Creo 5.0?

bokm9606
1-Newbie

Why do models colors and/or lighting (shaded mode) look so horrible in Wildfire/Creo 5.0?

I have been using the same color pallete for Pro/E since rev 2001. When we "upgraded" to Wildfire 5.0, all models look very washed out. Almost like the system default lighting is overpowered. Edges on model are difficult to see.

I use a black background.

I use Pre-Wildfire color-schemes so i can easily identify open edges on quilts from stitched edges.

i have show_shaded_edges set to yes/ON.

Is there a setting to revery to pre-CREO/wildfire5.0 lighting?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Yes, I agree. The way Pro/E WF-5 sets default lighting and color now SUCKS ! To me, it's a MAJOR step backwards in default visibility. I also use a black background and pre-wildfire color schemes. Yellow and Red Datum planes are SO much easier to see.

To get around the totally crappy lighting situation now, here's what I did...
I actually copied my old light config file (from WF 4.0) and stored it on a network drive. Then I created a mapkey to call the light file in WF 5. Here is the portion of my config.pro file that contains the mapkey called "fc" or "(Fix Colors). You can cut and paste this into your config.pro file.

mapkey fc @MAPKEY_LABELFix Colors in models;~ Command `ProCmdViewLights` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `pgl_combined_scene_file` `LCascadeB`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `pgl_combined_scene_file` `LCascadeB`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `pgl_combined_scene_file` `LImportB`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Trail `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `DLG_PREVIEW_POST` `file_open`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `pgl_combined_scene_file` `LCascadeB`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `computer_pb`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `i:`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `i:`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `WF 5.0 files`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `WF 5.0 files`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `configs`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `configs`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `bobs_lights.dlg`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Ph_list.Filelist`1 `bobs_lights.dlg`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `pgl_combined_scene_file` `Close`;

The only downside is that you need to type fc once for each new graphic window you open in Pro/E. Place a copy of the attached .dlg file in your startup directory and re-start Pro/E.

Hope it helps.

Bob Schwerdlin
Design Engineer,
Dukane Corp.
2900 Dukane Dr.
St. Charles, IL 60174
630-797-4974 direct
-

I would make a copy of the default-lights.dlg file for safe keeping.

Bob

I also agree that the lighting washes out the colors on WF5 compared to the previous versions.

I am doing a lot of testing on Creo 1.0 and I love the new shaded edges mode. Now I can't seem to look at my models in any other way. This makes the model edges pop out and makes the model much easier to see.

I need to hold off on going live with Creo 1.0 until we can get our Windchil 10 implemented, but I am sure looking forward to it.

Great tip on using the old lighting file for WF5.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

I find that the colors are vastly improved if you lower the Gamma value under Desktop Color Settings for your graphics card. Depending on your screen you can try setting it around 15-20% or if it's a value 0.15-0.20.

If you don't have a NVidia control panel or similar it can be found under Display Properties.

It definitely improves the washed out colors and gives a more darker shaded display.

Note: This is not a flame against Magnus in any way...

Ah, yes... but that will affect every other program running on your PC as well. That's not what I want. WF 5 lighting and color scheme is, just plain wrong - out of the box. It should not require any tweaking just to make it look at least as good as the previous release. If some individual wants to go above and beyond the factory settings - that's great, but make the base release at least as good as the previous release.

It makes no sense to me why PTC did this and not explain how best to leverage your existing graphics hardware to get the best performance and results. I think PTC took a small step backwards... once again. I also understand that the rendering engine in WF 5 is improved over previous versions, but if I never or rarely do any renderings, then allow me to control the graphics representation and continue to get my work done.

>> Flame off <<

Bob

No worries Bob.

Please note that it was a proposal. Did you try it before you ditched it? Depending on graphic card and screen it will probably not have the same effect on all computers but there is no drawback for me in any other program. The biggest difference is that the windows frames are more shaded.

Btw I find the colors in WF5 much better than the grey ones in previous WF versions except for the drawing where we used white customized background. That said the new colours in Creo 1.0 is even better with much improved selection highlight and preview. Drawing is white background as our earlier customized settings.

In Reply to Bob Schwerdlin:

Note: This is not a flame against Magnus in any way...

Ah, yes... but that will affect every other program running on your PC as well. That's not what I want. WF 5 lighting and color scheme is, just plain wrong - out of the box. It should not require any tweaking just to make it look at least as good as the previous release. If some individual wants to go above and beyond the factory settings - that's great, but make the base release at least as good as the previous release.

It makes no sense to me why PTC did this and not explain how best to leverage your existing graphics hardware to get the best performance and results. I think PTC took a small step backwards... once again. I also understand that the rendering engine in WF 5 is improved over previous versions, but if I never or rarely do any renderings, then allow me to control the graphics representation and continue to get my work done.

>> Flame off <<

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags