cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Why do my layers get messed up when creating STEP files?

dunebuggyjay
12-Amethyst

Why do my layers get messed up when creating STEP files?

Hi guys, when I want to Export a STEP file of ONLY what is shown on my screen, I always get some assemblies that show up that should not. Like the layers get messed up.

See pics below.

How can I fix this so ONLY what is currently shown on my screen is exported out to STEP?

Thanks for the help.

Jay

dunebuggyjay_2-1646666020040.png

dunebuggyjay_3-1646666038813.png

dunebuggyjay_5-1646666177599.png

5 REPLIES 5

The most consistent success I have had is by using simplified reps.  Using layers and Hidden mode always gave me problems.

Perhaps the latch solid model also has the other side of the latch included as a surface?

In the export settings, try unchecking "Annotations" and then "quilts" and then export the STEP file...

Unfortunately I tried that, I get the same result. 

Putting them on simplified reps like mentioned above works, but its a ton of work on large assemblies. 

It only seems to happen (as far as i can see)  on assemblies inside of assemblies. 

Hi,

maybe latch lock is included in more than one layer and these layers are "conflicting" -OR- latch lock is not included in any layer ?

Martin Hanák

No conflicting layers. I am willing to bet its because its an assembly inside of an assembly.

I have submitted this with files and video to PTC, and they told me they can repeat this problem on their end.

This has been a problem for many years...and I usually just try and work around it. But figured i should see what the official explanation is as to why this happens. 

When I hear something back from them, ill update this post.

Top Tags