cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Why space is not allowed in Creo

Bhoopathy
4-Participant

Why space is not allowed in Creo

Dear PTC Users,

Can anyone advice, why space is not allowed in Creo.

For example: while name the file, feature, viewname, etc,

There is any reason behind.

Regards, 

Bhoopathy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In Unix one can use most any character in a file name. I made a few which included the 'BELL' character and the 'Backspace' which made things fun for people using ls. 

I suspect that the space is used in Creo (nee Pro/Engineer) as a demarcation to tell when the end of some item in a string has been reached and that an argument or other modifier is being used. For certain it makes other processing more complicated and the fact that other systems allow it doesn't change that.

For example, there's an engineering forum that allows uploading files with "&" in the name but those files cannot be downloaded. Eliminating as many special and whitespace characters (space, tab, CR, LF) from names makes life easier all around. The use of the 'underscore' character makes the string more easily managed and offers the same benefit of adding a visible gap and is, I believe, universally accepted.

Ref: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/155793/is-it-correct-to-use-certain-special-characters-when-naming-filenames-in-linux

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Bhoopathy)

Archaic coding left over from the U*ix days of Pro/Engineer V1.

In Unix one can use most any character in a file name. I made a few which included the 'BELL' character and the 'Backspace' which made things fun for people using ls. 

I suspect that the space is used in Creo (nee Pro/Engineer) as a demarcation to tell when the end of some item in a string has been reached and that an argument or other modifier is being used. For certain it makes other processing more complicated and the fact that other systems allow it doesn't change that.

For example, there's an engineering forum that allows uploading files with "&" in the name but those files cannot be downloaded. Eliminating as many special and whitespace characters (space, tab, CR, LF) from names makes life easier all around. The use of the 'underscore' character makes the string more easily managed and offers the same benefit of adding a visible gap and is, I believe, universally accepted.

Ref: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/155793/is-it-correct-to-use-certain-special-characters-when-naming-filenames-in-linux

Bhoopathy
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

thank you for the info.

Top Tags