cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Wildfire 5.0 is slow and crashes (Solved)

DamianCastillo
1-Newbie

Wildfire 5.0 is slow and crashes (Solved)

I wanted to start a new thread to let everyone know that the mystery is solved.

I don't have a solution from PTC just yet, but I hope after they read this they will figure out a way to correct the issues.

First let me give credit to the individual who solved it.

Bryan Ruppert

I hope Bryan does not mind me sharing this, but he told me exactly why he believes it's happening and he was right.

I have a Dual Monitor setup. I did not think it was important to mention since WF3 and WF4 run perfectly in my current workstation. What Bryan pointed out is that sometimes the NView option on NVidia cards have issues when running Pro/E on Dual Monitors.

First Test:

I installed WF5 on another workstation with just one monitor. I created a new model and drawing. I was able to work in drawing mode and do just about anything I could think of doing without locking up the system.

I tried hard for about 15 minutes to add as much stuff on the screen as I could and it still kept working.

Second Test:

On my Dual Monitor Workstation, I opened the Nvidia Properties Dialog and turned off Nview as suggested by Bryan.

I ran WF5 and opened the same part and drawing I used before. I was able to work in Drawing mode, add views, dimensions, annotations, tables and sketches with no issues. I kept adding things to the drawing, making dimensional changes, etc for about 15 to 20 minutes and could not get it to lock up.

The Problem:

NView option on Nvidia cards running Dual Monitor setup's.

Summary:

The mystery is solved, but in my opinion I don't have a solution yet. Yes, I can turn Nview options off and work on a Dual Monitor setup without issues now, but anyone that uses Dual Monitors will tell you how productive and great the Nview options are. In fact, I would say that the reason to use Dual Monitors is for the options Nview allows you to do.

Such as switching application windows from one monitor to the next with a shortcut key. Maximizing a window to one screen without having to resize it manually.

There are other great things, but these two alone will take away most of the productivity gains I have with a Dual Monitor setup.

I think PTC should work with Nvidia now and figure out a solution to this. Every Graphics card made today has a dual video option and the ability to be productive with how you interact with your application Windows in a Dual Monitor setup is key.

Dual Monitor with no Nview options is a crime.

So please PTC. Give someone a call at Nvidia and work this out. WF3 and WF4 work great with Nview turned on. In fact, I can move the Wildfire Window from one screen or the next with no issues and I can also have the drawing on one Monitor and the model on the other. One of the best things I enjoy is having two similar models up on the screen at the same time while I make tweaks to one version of it. This allows me to verify back to the original design if I am confused.

Thanks Bryan for the answer to the problem.

I also want to thank PTC for responding to my original forum post and wanting to help solve this. That shows me that they care and want to make sure it's not an issue that can be a problem to others.

Conclusion:

WF5 still runs slower than WF4 and seems to require better hardware.

WF5 does not play nice with Dual Monitors which should become more of an issue as people start to realize the benefits of having Dual Screens setup. If WF3 and WF4 can handle it, we can only hope it's fixed for WF5.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Instead of Nvida options, try MultiMon (free)

Hey Damian,

We had issues with Nview and WF2 and WF3, in particular when the user
had two different desktop wallpapers in place.

Best Regards,

Hugo Hermans, NV Michel Van de Wiele.
Top Tags