cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Wrap a feature around a profile

sgavin
1-Newbie

Wrap a feature around a profile

Hi guy's,

I'm trying to find a way to wrap a standard gear rack (datum curve) around an oval profile so I can extrude it down to form an oval gear.

Is this possible?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:sgavin)

If I understand right, yes, you can wrap a curve onto a solid or surface.

Promising!

How?

I can wrap a 2d sketch no problem. It's trying to wrap a sketch that is normal to the surface.

Thanks

sgavin
1-Newbie

wrap.jpg

Just a simple test piece.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

How about patterning along a curve?

Thanks, I'll have a play with that.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Do you mean an oval gear like in a Spirograph?  If that's what I'm thinking, that would be different than wrapping a curve.

ovalgearassemblyrev3.jpg

looks simple, but there's a trick in creating the pitch diameter (oval) which I'm fine with creating. I'm looking for a less painful way of applying the gear tooth detail.

Its oval (elliptical) like but not exactly so wrapping a rack over the profile may be a viable option.

I wonder if a spinal bend would work where the spine is equal to the oval pitch diameter.  The roots of the teeth would be compressed and the tips expanded.  Not sure if that would be a wash when you run two of these gears together or the profiles end up too warped.

Thanks. The deformation is what I'm after.

I'm having some joy with Quilt flattening and then quilt deformation. It actually wraps the solid created on the flat quilt back around the profile. A little temperamental but it works on a simplified model.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

You might see what happens with spinal bend.

Theoretically, you could wrap a gear tooth rack and use spinal bend to wrap the flat gear bar around the cam shape you want.

I would suggest the bend profile to be the pitch profile of the "cam"..

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I'd suggest spinal bend as well, except the concern, as Andrew stated would be the distortion.  If it was just for show, it'd work just fine.  If it was supposed to be accurate, not so much.  As you guys both mentioned, I'd also agree that the pitch diameter would be the best thing to use.

I wish I had some time to work on this, as I have a method I've been playing with to easily create gear teeth without using CS's and complicated equations, that would really lend itself to this....

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

This is kind of late but do hope it does some help.

gear.JPG

sgavin
1-Newbie
(To:BHOoi)

Its never too late!

Thank you. I will check this out.

Top Tags