cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

adding text to dimensions using a mapkey

ptc-5009023
1-Newbie

adding text to dimensions using a mapkey

hi i'm reseting up the maykeys in creo and in w4 in if you right click a dimension and go into properties. you can add text in front of or bbehind the actual dimension. when i create a mapkey to do that it deletes out everything in there like radius, diameter symbol or quantity. how do i correctly make a mapkey to add text to a dimension without it replacing whats already there.

side note previous versions you could add it to the prefixx or suffix and after you clicked ok it would move over to the text box. in creo it stay in the prefixx or suffix box. this is how we did this mapkey in previous versions..^^^

thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-5009023)

Since Mapkeys record your key strokes, you may want to try right or left arrow depending upon whether the text is being placed before or after the dimension text.

it was a good idea but it still deletes everything out...

ø @d ref (2) so i want to add all the extra notes before and in front the dimension (@D) using different keystrokes for each like di for diameter symbol and re for ref.

Thanks!!

you could set a mapkey to add text to the prefix and suffix and it won't delete but then you can't double up otherwise it will delete what you have in the preffix or suffix.

BUMP!!!!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-5009023)

Aaron,

Didn't know if you saw today discussion:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/200142#200142

Maybe this would help what you are looking for.

Mapkeys can be as simple or complex as you want.

As you indicate you already seem to have planned longer input strings so you can EA??
eaDI for adding Diam Symbol or eaRE to add the () for Ref Dims or use Parenthesize Ref Dims option

this allows you to get reaally specific with what each does which is good.

Important to note are the following radio button controlled options.

When recording the Mapkey there are 3 options for what to do at prompts * indicates default setting

(*) Record keyboard input

( ) Accept system defaults

( ) Pause for keyboard input

Choosing the lowest option may solve the delete issue you are having with your mapkeys.
Check to see if this helps fix your problem. I usually use the pause option but never really investigated the others too much. You can always edit the mapkey via a text editor to fix the auto recorded stuff. Also adding pauses into the mapkey can allow user to remove unwanted text as they play through the mapkey. Dales posted link to the other post of mine gives more info in regard to Mapkey Pauses.

Michael

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:mjcole_ptc)

( ) Accept system defaults

( ) Pause for keyboard input

Choosing the lowest option may solve the delete issue you are having with your mapkeys.
Check to see if this helps fix your problem. I usually use the pause option but never really investigated the others too much. You can always edit the mapkey via a text editor to fix the auto recorded stuff. Also adding pauses into the mapkey can allow user to remove unwanted text as they play through the mapkey. Dales posted link to the other post of mine gives more info in regard to Mapkey Pauses.

Michael

Was the bottom one supposed to be (P)? if not, what is the difference between the second and third (lowest) options?

Thanks, Dale

Top Tags