cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

assigning a variable

bcooper
1-Newbie

assigning a variable

In a previous version of ProEngineer I was able to assign a value to a varible then use it to build a parametric model. An example I could give D the value of 4.00 and then set a dimension in my model d1=D, then I could build relations from there. I could go back and change the value of D, regen the model and everything would change accordingly. The problem I am having with creo parametric 2.0 is I can't find where to set the value of D.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tools --> parameters. Hit the green plus button. Type in the name, select variable type, and add the value.

Creating a variable and assigning a value can also be done in a relation. Tools --> Relations

D=4.00

The benefit to doing in a relation is you can add a comment to explain what is going on along with the relation you create to control your dimension. i.e.:

/* Sets the diameter of widget to parameter D

D=4.00

d1=D

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tools --> parameters. Hit the green plus button. Type in the name, select variable type, and add the value.

Creating a variable and assigning a value can also be done in a relation. Tools --> Relations

D=4.00

The benefit to doing in a relation is you can add a comment to explain what is going on along with the relation you create to control your dimension. i.e.:

/* Sets the diameter of widget to parameter D

D=4.00

d1=D

Thanks, that wil work.

I should add that adding the parameter value to a relation locks the value. Delete it from the relation to make it changeable from the parameter list.

...or comment it by prefixing it with: "/*" so you can use it later if desired.

Also, what's nice is that you can add parameters at the same time as adding relations, so that you can use them in your relations. Just expand the "Local Parameters" bar at the bottom.

Top Tags