cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

create coordinate systems with Jlink??

jaapkramer
1-Newbie

create coordinate systems with Jlink??

Hi,

I've been searching in the Jlink manual, but i haven't been able to find this... is it possible to create a new Datum Coordinate System using J-link??? I want to create a number of coordinate systems in an assembly, each being positioned relative to the default coordinate system, using x, y, z offset and xangle, yangle, zangle rotation. Is this possible?? And if not, can it be done by creating a mapkey??

Here's the reason for my question: we now use CoCreate Modeling, which doesn't use placement constraints in assies (just like "fix" in ProE). Our assembly department people simply copy our assembly and completely restructure it to their wishes by just draggingmodels around in the structure tree. In Pro/E this will be very difficult because of all the placement constraints. If I export the x, y, z and rotation values of the default csys of each component of our assy, and rebuild an assy using this data, I could create 1 huge new assy (no sub-assies) with all components simply constrained to their own csys (and that csys is simply constrained to the main assy csys). Now, is this a totally stupid idea, or would this be a nice trick to help the assembly dept guys out??

The alternative trick would be to simply delete all constraints and replace them by a "fix" placement. As long as the Assembly dept guys have an assy that they can easily restructure, it's fine with me.

Any suggestion is welcome 🙂

Thanks, regards,

Jaap

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Jaap,
A csys is a feature. JLink doesn't contain the capabilities of creating features of any type. The only API that can create features is the Pro/TOOLKIT API. Sorry, you're out of luck.

Patrick Williams | Sr. Applications Engineer | Engineering Systems | Steelcase Inc. | 616.698.4078 | My Site<">http://my.steelcase.com/Person.aspx?accountname=NA\PWILLIA3>

[cid:image001.jpg@01C9F955.0F9DB560]

Hi,

I would recommend to use an UDF insteador simply delete all the constraints of all components (recursively) in the assembly.

I did a lot of work like this...

Possible solutions (using TOOLKIT, Weblink, VB or Weblink - it's possible with every API):

1. Replace all constraints of every single comp with one single csys2csys constraint. Create an csys udf programmatically at the component path's transform matrix (GetOrigin()); then Create a default csys in every component's origin and redefine the comp's constraints to the 2 Csys (align csys). Instead of an UDF it's also possible to create a csys by Pro/TOOLKIT using the XML feature tree or by bulding the feature tree manually.

2. Simply create a new emptyassembly. Then copy recursively all comps from your original asm to the new asm by simply do a package (no constraints). Using the origin comp's comp path origin for assembling the new pos is the same like the old one...

Good luck. But this can be done programmatically.

Andreas

Andreas Hellmann
MCAD Services Pro/E & Pro/E customization

phone: +49 6145 598296
mail: -

Hi,

thanks for the answers! The option of simply copying each component sounds very appealing 🙂 I'll try that!

Kind regards,

Jaap

Top Tags