cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

creating a curved surface on extrude.

ldillon
1-Newbie

creating a curved surface on extrude.

Hey, I am currently using Creo parametric to design the top plate of an acoustic archtop guitar. so far I have managed to make the basic shape by extruding a drawing. To create the necessary convex surface I tried using the revolve feature, this method did not work as the revolve could not follow the pattern of the drawing. I have attached photos for my design so far and a picture of how it should look. Is there any way of making a revolve which will follow the the shape of the extrude ? If not how can I create this design ?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:ldillon)

That shape, from what little I can see in the pics, cannot be created by simple Boolean shapes.  Learn advanced features and surfacing. 

Nice guitar though...... 

Thanks for the reply ! Do you have an idea of which techniques I should use ?

Once you master the variable section sweep, this becomes pretty simple.

But Frank is right, there is no one magic feature that creates a masterpiece.

Creating a domed surface is not hard.  In its basic form, a revolved arc and a trim to square will do it.  The trick is maintaining the sidewall length uniformly or intentionally formed with regard to the periphery.  This is where the advanced surface module is a useful tool to help keep continuous surfaces.  No guarantee, of course, but about 10x easier than with core Creo.

Also have a quick look at freestyle.  You might be able to manipulate a blob into something useful that can be trimmed away or merged with a solid.

Top Tags