cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

disable automatic placement of a skeleton?

petebruce
5-Regular Member

disable automatic placement of a skeleton?

I've got a skeleton that I'd like to manually place in an assembly, is it possible?

Normal behavior:

A true skeleton part assembles itself like you've selected "default" constraints and it shows up near the top of the model tree. 

I'd like to assemble the skeleton in another position, for instance:  skel_cs   to  alternate_cs.

Observation:  Once the skeleton is in the assembly I've tried to redefine the placement but the normal redefine menu pick isn't available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
petebruce
5-Regular Member
(To:petebruce)

I asked a co-worker about this and was able to get my question answered.

The first skeleton added to an assembly gets automatically placed in the default location.  It's also first in the model tree and cannot be re-defined.   If you add a second skeleton, you can assemble it in an alternate location, however while constraining you can only select features from the first skeleton.

Although my question is answered, it isn't quite what I was hoping for.  I had a csys in my assy that was in a unique position based on some values and I was hoping to place the skeleton on it.  There may be workarounds, like placing a cs in a dummy skeleton and assembling it first, then add the normal skeleton.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petebruce
5-Regular Member

I asked a co-worker about this and was able to get my question answered.

The first skeleton added to an assembly gets automatically placed in the default location.  It's also first in the model tree and cannot be re-defined.   If you add a second skeleton, you can assemble it in an alternate location, however while constraining you can only select features from the first skeleton.

Although my question is answered, it isn't quite what I was hoping for.  I had a csys in my assy that was in a unique position based on some values and I was hoping to place the skeleton on it.  There may be workarounds, like placing a cs in a dummy skeleton and assembling it first, then add the normal skeleton.

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

This is one of the reasons that I avoid using skeleton parts. I was taught the same basic method before skeleton parts existed but we called them "map parts". They were made of datum features (planes, pts, curves, etc.) and surface features so they won't affect mass and can be easily hidden/shown using layers. We still put them as the first component in an assembly but it's not forced there. We also did not use the sketches, etc. to create and control features in parts to avoid external references. We needed to keep our parts separate for performance and configuration management reasons.

Top Tags