cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

drawing layers from model

didriek
6-Contributor

drawing layers from model

Hi all,

I'm busy making drawings and the layers of my model are all ok/hidden curves, quilts....

But when I make my drawing views the setting to take over the model layer status is not set.

So, I take the option to copy the status from the model

BUT

It does not automatically takes the layerstatus of the part/assy I make the views from (active drawing model), it asks me to select the assy/part to copy the status from?

And when I select the assy it does nothing

So each time I need to set all drawing layers manually again, and save because I cant copy it from the active model

How annoying

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
didriek
6-Contributor
(To:Patriot_1776)

I have found what I was looking for:

In the layer tree I 'right clicked' and had the option to 'copy the status' from but that failed a little on assemblies and often I forgot to save...

BUT

What I was looking for was under 'layer tree settings' not under layers

There is the last option 'drawing layer status' where you get the Wildfire window: LAYER STATUS CONTROL

Where you can mark/unmark 'ignore display status of layers in the model'

>> I unmarked because often my layers are nicely set in the model (except if I would need something different on my drawing)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I have not found an easy way to make layers work well in drawings. The second best thing is assigning layers specific to the view. ....and remembering to save their status.

Hopefully someone will post a good tutorial explaining exactly how layers are meant to be used.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:didriek)

I would not copy status from model. Model changes can then have unintended drawing changes. For my drawings I have the following in my .dtl file:

draw_layer_overrides_model NO

ignore_model_layer_status YES

You can set the layers in the drawing in general, and that will change all the views (best/easiest option if possible). As Antonius mentioned, you can also choose to have a specific layer setup for each individual view if wanted. The caveat is that you can't put that view back under the "general" layer control. You can copy the settings from the general view, but it must be done every time, and for each view. That would be a valuable enhancement. Also as Antonius mentioned, make sure you save. Layers can be kind of a PITA, and there are some bugs.

I have created start models that use layers with rules, which work very well. Especially when converting models that don't have our layer structure. I've attached an excellent .ppt demo.

didriek
6-Contributor
(To:Patriot_1776)

I have found what I was looking for:

In the layer tree I 'right clicked' and had the option to 'copy the status' from but that failed a little on assemblies and often I forgot to save...

BUT

What I was looking for was under 'layer tree settings' not under layers

There is the last option 'drawing layer status' where you get the Wildfire window: LAYER STATUS CONTROL

Where you can mark/unmark 'ignore display status of layers in the model'

>> I unmarked because often my layers are nicely set in the model (except if I would need something different on my drawing)

Actually, you can put a drawing view with independent layer status back under general drawing control. In Creo 2.0 it is the "drawing dependent" command under one of the pull-down menus in the layer tree. It was around in Wildfire also...but buried even deeper I think.

Top Tags