cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

family table driven assembly with skelton part problem

RobertSchaefer
1-Newbie

family table driven assembly with skelton part problem

I’ve recently decided to recreate some of my old libraries of parts and assemblies, some of which were created in version 15 years ago, in Creo Elements/Pro 5 (Wildfire 5).

I want to take advantage of Top Down Assemblies and skeleton parts to control the size of the assembly components. This seems like it should be very simple to do but I’m missing something and not getting the results I need. I have Advanced XE with the AAX (advanced assembly) module so I should be able to do this.

What I want:

An assembly with a top level skeleton part that controls the width and length of several other component parts which will be created in the assembly after the skeleton part. A family table of the assembly used to select the different sized variations of the assembly and it’s component parts.

What I’ve tried:

- created an assembly

- created a skeleton part comprised of a few sketches, one sketch determines the width and length of a rectangle

- created a family table of the skeleton part inserting the dimensions that control the width and length of the sketch, then added instances to create various sizes

- created a component part in the assembly and made a protrusion using the sketch created in the skeleton part for width and length

- created a family table for the assembly adding instances for different sizes and inserted the skeleton part into the family table with it’s different instance names created in its own family table

What I expected to get upon retrieving and assembly instance:

Upon opening an instance from the assembly family table I expected to have the resized skeleton part and resized component part.

What I actually get:

A resized skeleton part but the component part that was created by using the edges of the sketch in the skeleton part was the generic size and not the instance size.

What am I missing here? Any light that anyone could shed or any documentation you can direct me to in order to solve this would be appreciated. I haven’t been able to find any settings or tools to fix this within Creo Elements/Pro 5.

Since PTC no longer supplies user manuals for the different modules and there doesn’t appear to be such documentation on their website it makes it really difficult to get a handle on certain aspects of the software.

Have a terrific day!

Robert

3D Accuracy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Challenge solved, it can be done easily with family tables as I suspected.

I received a couple emails from two individuals on another forum with the solution. I needed to place the skeleton reference model into the family table of the component part and specify which instance to look for during regen. Worked like a charm.

Have a terrific day!

Robert

3D Accuracy

www.3d-accuracy.com

Top Tags