cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

issue with axis rotation in animation

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member

issue with axis rotation in animation

Hi all

The 2nd issue , I have a table that has to rotate to 60 degrees, on that table i have constrained a wheel by attaching directly to the tables datum planes, not the assembly.

Now when I animate this, the wheel actually moves in position , and the rotation axis shifts, see images

TABLE+ZERO.JPG

table in start position, not the position of the wheel.

TABLE+SHIFT.JPG

half way in the animation, the axis that it rotates around has moved, and the position if the wheel has moved, but it returns to correct position when it is finished the movement. the table is constrained to the axis of the slide, and the two datum of the slide, not the assembly.

this shouldn't happen, and the wheel should shift being constrained by three datums of the table.

peter

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

That is interesting. Can you post a zip export of the assembly to have a look at?

Obviously there is no reason for it to do this. Something very strange is happening.

How exactly are you driving the animation?

My take on this would be to use a use a pin constraint on the tilt axis and setting the "table" up as a servo motor. The animation can be done directly from the mechanism analysis.

I've seen some strange things happened when you don't have a good fixed part. The gear that was suppose to move didn't and the the whole fixed part rotated around the gear. This was only true in the animation, but not the analysis. Sometimes using a view in animation can do this also when the view is somehow associated with a moving component.

These videos are based on the previous post. I disabled the separate sketch-locked assembly constraint so it would recognize the pin connection. Using a snapshot for the analysis, I was able to get the angles consistent with a position-constrained servo motor.

The first video is the Mechanism animation:

Video Link : 4774

The second is using the Mechanism analysis in the Animation application and applying 2 views:

Video Link : 4775

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

one of my problems is that I don't have mechanism license assigned to me, the rest of the office use the three licences we have.

what I am doing is I need to create a simulation of a drilling machine we use here, it isn't detailed, but the pyhisical dimension are correct so we can test capacity, and I need to generate videos so that a suppleir can understand the operation.

I have constrained the turret and the table by using the pin option you have described in the other post

i have posted two short videos on youtube ,still a lot more work has to go into this, but at least the turret is now functional , they are at http://youtu.be/V6cgp-TNGEs and http://youtu.be/BxrSLtMgf8U

even now that the table is constriant by a mechanism pin, the rotation axis is still funny, and the wheel moving when constrained to the tables three datums, just shouldn't happen.

How I am using animation, I am setting positions by parameter, then taking snapshots, then using animation snapshot to create the keyframes.

I will try to zip the files, maybe later today, I have been assigned a more urgent task that now has priority.

I do not have the advanced mechanism extension but all Creo version have the basic mechanism if you remember to install it. You have to look for it in the install as an additional option.

Sometimes it is hard to figure out just what is wrong. The first culprit is going to be tangent constraints.

We can get back on this when you get a change.

Top Tags