cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

modeling with a shared (and linked) 'sketch'

didriek
6-Contributor

modeling with a shared (and linked) 'sketch'

Hi all,

Small question, I have a skeleton in Creo I use to extrude rods on the wireframe (orientation is in all directions, under all dieffertent angles)

These rods have all the same section, but could change over design/concept.

So the idea I had is to create a sketch and save it as stand alone. So I could use that skets to extruse&sweep over the sceleton.

And, if the section would change, I would update the scetch so all rods change...

But that sketch is only imported... no link to it, so nothing will update

Tought about copy geometry and publish geometry, but then I end up with parts where I reuse geomerty, and that is not workable to extrude or sweep.

I also don't want to use 'use edge' of geometry, not that stable...?

Any ideas? THNX!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, you can use dependent UDF feature (UDF-driven)

About Placing a UDF in a Model

When you place a UDF, you copy the features into your model. The copied features become a group. Groups created from a UDF can be Independent or UDF-driven

• When placed as Independent the resulting group is independent of any changes to the UDF. All the required UDF values copy into the part, along with the UDF.
  • When placed as UDF-driven, changes to the fixed dimensions of the UDF cause a change to the group when you choose Update from the GROUP menu.

When a UDF is subordinate, a UDF-driven group is indirectly driven by the original model of the UDF. When you retrieve the part with a UDF-driven group, the variables are also updated.

Note: UDF-driven groups update dimension values only if the features included in the UDF have not changed since the UDF was placed. If features are added to or removed from a UDF, updating the UDF in a model does not add or remove the features. To add or remove features to or from a UDF, make a copy of the old UDF, rename it, and then recreate this new UDF in all models in which the old UDF was placed.

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

This is part of that other discussion recently started on Skeletons.

In essense, you can relate your "rods" to the "sketch" if they were both assembled into an "assembly". Nouw you can activate the "rods" while in the "assembly" and relate them to the "sketch". Change the sketch, you change the rods. You now have a relationship down from the assembly tying the sketch and rods together.

Does that make sense?

To take one more level, you can also add the skeleton to the "assembly" and now you can tie the sketch to the skeleton.

Hi, you can use dependent UDF feature (UDF-driven)

About Placing a UDF in a Model

When you place a UDF, you copy the features into your model. The copied features become a group. Groups created from a UDF can be Independent or UDF-driven

• When placed as Independent the resulting group is independent of any changes to the UDF. All the required UDF values copy into the part, along with the UDF.
  • When placed as UDF-driven, changes to the fixed dimensions of the UDF cause a change to the group when you choose Update from the GROUP menu.

When a UDF is subordinate, a UDF-driven group is indirectly driven by the original model of the UDF. When you retrieve the part with a UDF-driven group, the variables are also updated.

Note: UDF-driven groups update dimension values only if the features included in the UDF have not changed since the UDF was placed. If features are added to or removed from a UDF, updating the UDF in a model does not add or remove the features. To add or remove features to or from a UDF, make a copy of the old UDF, rename it, and then recreate this new UDF in all models in which the old UDF was placed.

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
didriek
6-Contributor
(To:didriek)

UDF, thnaks, didn't think about it...

I like UDFs - it is powerful feature

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Vladimir... do you have useful links in the knowledgebase on the options for UDFs?

I have manintenance so I can access those files if you could please link them here.

Hi Antonius - I will find something good for you ,

I'll stay in touch.

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Here you can find some UDF video Tutorials:

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
Top Tags