cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

new filenames template!

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

new filenames template!

Just wondering how you guys name your new parts/assemblies..

(Having an AAX-license) Im creating new parts for a single project all the time and Im getting a bit tired of having to make up a unique name for each new part.

Is there a way to have a template for this?

eg. I tell Creo that for the session all new filenames should start with "model1-" instead of prt*.

Also this would be really nice when creating (motion) skeletons and replacing parts by copies.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
RonSt.Pierre
11-Garnet
(To:bp)

The number of ways is endless...

It's going to come down to what you want to do, what makes sense for your situation, and hopefully keeping it simple and database friendly.

For me... we have a numbering scheme: aa12345-xxxx.  It is assigned immediately.  usually one person is working on it so keeping track of the numbering is easier.

it begins with a two place alpha to designate for tooling, product, etc followed by a 5 digit project number, then a dash, then a 3 or 4 place counting number.  three place number for parts, 4 place for assemblies.  This number stays with the part forever.

I've been at other places where they assign the auto number as a development/prototype, then rename later when they want to use it for product/production.  At a larger facility, there is a computer program that would assign/track global company part numbers.

Good luck in your endeavors!

ron

Edit:

With regards to changing the naming convention from "prtxxxx.prt" to "modelxx.prt", this is done in windchill.

do a search here with "auto number", lots of discussions regarding this which takes it way beyond my capabilities

-r

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:RonSt.Pierre)

Could someone give me some guidance how to set this up in windchill (we are using 10.2 M022)?

Ive asked our system administrator but he does not respond (meaning he does not know how to do it).

This would really help me out here!

RonSt.Pierre
11-Garnet

I would suggest you contact the person/company that set up your windchill as it involves some programming

refer to CS172880 as this may give you some insight as to what is needed, or like me, how far over my head this is.

Ron

emartínez
1-Newbie

As far as I know, once the CAD file is created in creo it cannot be renamed automatically. If you create the CAD Document in windchill, the filename will be created from the CAD name, and you can modify that using the Object Initialization Rules of this object.

So what to do if your CAD was created in creo? you can add a Listener in Windchill on the CHECKIN event from creo (this is supported), so when the document is checked in Windchill it will rename the filename to your specification.

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:emartínez)

why isnt it possible to modify standard filenames template in Creo parametric? That would be so much more transparant..

Top Tags