cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

number of parts in subassembly BOM

thlavinka
1-Newbie

number of parts in subassembly BOM

Hello,

I use multisheet drawings and would like to sort out a prolblem with number of parts in subassembly sheets.

We must use a specific method of numbering (that cannot be driven by repeat region atributes) where each subassembly drawing contains total number of subassemblies and total number of each part. That's why we have to rewrite number of parts in each subassembly drawing manually.

My question is following: is there some way to sort this out so that its made automatically?

thanks in advance

Tom

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, i see. This is a problem with the actual amount of each component, not with rpt.index.

Scratch what i said in my previous post about relations, sort, etc. Pictures explain it better.

This might be a little harder to grasp but let me try to explain... The subassembly by itself cannot tell how many times it is used in the top level assembly as well as how many times are used it's own parts in the top level assembly separately.

To get how many times the subassembly and/or it's parts are used you would have to load the top level assembly into the subassembly drawing and then change the Model/Rep in the table's Repeat Region to the top level assembly.

rr1.png

This solution creates two model/rep references in your subassembly drawing, one to the subassembly model, and one to the top level assembly model. You should think this through before using this solution in case you are going to reuse the subassembly in more than one assembly within Windchill. The need to reuse the subassembly could cause a havoc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

hi Tomas,

Sure, You might have a parameter called SORT (TRIDENI in Czech) in you start part defined as a type of string. So it appears in each model and can be used to sort the repeat region such that the &rpt.index will always start from number 1.

The trouble with this approach is with library parts such as bolts, nuts, etc., Those do not have the parameter SORT defined on model level. For those you would have to add a relation to the repeat region table that says if SORT does not exist define &rpt.rel.SORT equal to high number, else define &rpt.rel.SORT equal to &asm.mbr.SORT (actually the relation should be defined the other way around).

Finally, you will need to define a symbol for callout containing this \rpt.rel.sort\ as a variable.

~J

HI James, thank you for your response.

Since I am not good at relation I would like you to help me with the BOM relation. I made some screenshots:

- part parameters with newly created param. SORT.

Screenshot_1.png

- assembly drawing with total amount of parts

Screenshot_2.png

- subassembly drawing with "wrong" amount of parts (saubassemblies)

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Thanks in advance

Tom

Ok, i see. This is a problem with the actual amount of each component, not with rpt.index.

Scratch what i said in my previous post about relations, sort, etc. Pictures explain it better.

This might be a little harder to grasp but let me try to explain... The subassembly by itself cannot tell how many times it is used in the top level assembly as well as how many times are used it's own parts in the top level assembly separately.

To get how many times the subassembly and/or it's parts are used you would have to load the top level assembly into the subassembly drawing and then change the Model/Rep in the table's Repeat Region to the top level assembly.

rr1.png

This solution creates two model/rep references in your subassembly drawing, one to the subassembly model, and one to the top level assembly model. You should think this through before using this solution in case you are going to reuse the subassembly in more than one assembly within Windchill. The need to reuse the subassembly could cause a havoc.

since we dont use Windchill there should not cause any problem, but I have already tried to resolve this by simplified rep.and found it too complicated so i came back to do the amount by comments.

If you PM me your email address i can send you a video that explains it. It is not that complicated as it may seem at first.

Top Tags