cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

possible to export nodal data (stress/strain/displacement/etc) to file?

ptc-1670481
1-Newbie

possible to export nodal data (stress/strain/displacement/etc) to file?

I'm wanting to export all data/information (stresses, strains, displacement, etc) for ALL model FEM nodes to a readable .txt or .xls file. Is this possible withing Mechanica?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

streses strain displacements are results so it needs to have pro mechanica analysis run and in result window you are able to generate the report in a readable format. Correct me if I wrong. is this what you are looking for? or I could not understand properly

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:jsarkar)

I think he wants to have these data for each node over the model.

Yes, I am trying to export these data for EVERY single node in the analysis model.

There is an option on the Run Settings dialog to create all results files in an ASCII (clear text) format.

If you have a set of previously created results, you can convert any results file from the default Binary format to ASCII using the following command (from a Command Prompt):

%MECH_HOME%\bin\convert <binary_file> <ascii_file>

Nice one MR. Berkeley.

I used this option, to create ASCII files in the Run Settings. But how can I find this file, or where?

I loked for a file with .txt extension, in the directory of the simulation, but could not find anything.

I compared with a directory of a "binary" running, and I didn't find any difference.

What sould I look for?

Thank you!

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:ptc-5074956)

You can find a set of files in the analysis directory.

You can find this directory by checking your "Directory for output files" setting (in the run settings window) and looking up a folder which has the same name as the analysis.

In this folder, there will be a sub-folder where the output files are located.

The ascii option outputs the format of the data in the file itself as ascii and does not simply create .txt file extensions. It codes the data in a different way and allows more common tools to access the data. The files you are looking for are in your directory output folder with whatever extensions are generated for a specific analysis. The files and extensions vary depending on the analysis performed.

Refer to the following help file from the PTC knowledgbase about the ascii file outputs and how to interpret them:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_24/howto/mst1283/mst1283.htm

Hope that helps,

- J -

Top Tags