cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

"Saved" parts in assembly vanished? Trail files!

firefly100
3-Visitor

"Saved" parts in assembly vanished? Trail files!

Hello everyone!

I am working on Creo Parametric 3.0 Student Edition without Windchill (student here). I have one main assembly file with some sub-assemblies in it. I was working on one of the sub-assembly's parts and constantly saving it between creation of parts. The gist of it is that my laptop fans turned all the way up, and I felt that the laptop was about to hang (has happened before) so I saved the assembly (It saved), did a "Erase not displayed", and exited the program. On restart, it said that one of my fasteners (from the Intelligent Fastener Extension) was unable to be found and I clicked "Ignore". The model that opened was an incomplete one that was missing many parts. All parts, assemblies, sub-assemblies are saved in the same local directory. I had imported some STEP files too, which were there, some of the others from later were missing. Something I noticed was that my working directory was now set to my "temp" folder, where I found tiny Trail files. I find these hard to read and I cannot get them to play as the option is grayed. Other information that may help:

• The largest trail file I have is in my local folder from the approx crash time. Size: 14.6 MB
  • Local folder has some of the missing parts but not all of them. Where did they get saved? I also have too many version files.
  • My config.pro file says "changed and specified *" for "save_objects"
  • The "first" missing part shows up with its copy geometry but no extrude feature (with pattern) and from there on all parts I made are missing

So, what happened exactly? And is there any way I can recover the parts using the trail file or another method? 

I would have a few regeneration errors from some parts I suppressed (mean to deleted those later), though my model loaded fine with these. Any input is appreciated. Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

just a note...

If your config.pro does not contain following option

file_open_default_folder working_directory

and you changed working directory during Creo session

then your models can be saved in different directories.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

just a note...

If your config.pro does not contain following option

file_open_default_folder working_directory

and you changed working directory during Creo session

then your models can be saved in different directories.

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin, I just did this along with changing the start in directory. I also saw this thread on trail files.

However, when I open Creo the option Play Trail File is grey / cannot be selected and I don't know why. Also tried running it from the command prompt. Does not show up under Manage Session either. In any case, I did manage to find the sub-assembly I was working on in another directory, so thank you for pointing that out. From some reading, it seems I should not move the sub-assembly back to the older folder with my main assembly as there may be problems with part names. I plan to use search paths for the config.pro file.

Top Tags