cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

sheet metal conversion, why can't I rip along an edge?

pshepherdson
9-Granite

sheet metal conversion, why can't I rip along an edge?

Hi,

been a while since I did a creo model!  Need some help.  I have a shape that should be fairly simple to do.  It's a 90° bend, that has a taper in it, and I cant' seem to get creo to split the tapered part where I want (along the spine).  it'll add a rip on an edge, so I get a weird flat, but not along the 'spine' that makes sence..

Any ideas?

it's a 1.5" x 1.5" x 25" long 90° bend, and teh tip, the taper goes down to .5" x .5" over 3 inches..  Iv'e tried a few different thicknesses.  It's a solid converted (sheleld) to a sheetmetal part.  I then do a conversion to get teh split at the tip, but it won't take (the red line int eh pic).  I can add a rip, but not have ti end at the apex, but then teh flat fails..  As mentined, it'll split on a side bend, not the spine bend..

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

please explain how your model is manufactured. I am not sheetmetal expert. I can only imagine that you can create your design as two separate sheetmetal parts (25" long and 3" long) easily and assemble them together. Both parts can be unbent without problems, because their surfaces are ruled.

Martin Hanák

Looking at the 2 images, you cannot do the .25 radius on the tip portion of your model because of the taper.

In order to do the taper, you need to rip the radius part of the straight section so you can get the taper formed.

Am I correct in guessing that the flat stock looks like a pie wedgecut outwhich when formed makes the taper end?

Hi ben,

yes, I 've been payign with it, to get it to work as planned, when I do the side bend, i can give any bend radius I want.  but eth cut is always on the side, not teh spine.  teh small tip opeing will change as I develop the shape.

Is this waht it looks like in the solid?

Hi Ben, yes, that's the plan / idea.

Top Tags