cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

strange behavior; "EDIT" doesn't show dimensions sometimes...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

strange behavior; "EDIT" doesn't show dimensions sometimes...

I have some odd behavior happening with an "inherited" (or cursed with would be more appropriate...) model. SOMETIMES, not always, just sometimes, when I highlight a feature, RMB, select EDIT, the dimensions DO NOT show up... RMB again and there is no option to "SHOW DIMENSION" that occurs on features with "sections" like sweeps... Even a simple round at the very end of the part, won't let me change the radius until I actually EDIT DEFINITION... any ideas why??? Or how to fix this behavior...

thanks in advance...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

ahhh... the ole' "dimension" layer! Thanks...

<rant mode=" on="> For the life of me, I just can't understand what good a layer with all your dimensions on it serves... for that matter niether can I for one with ALL your geometry on it either... yet I routinely find those layers in models.... oye vie!

<rant mode=" off=">

In Reply to Paul Korenkiewicz:

I have some odd behavior happening with an "inherited" (or cursed with would be more appropriate...) model. SOMETIMES, not always, just sometimes, when I highlight a feature, RMB, select EDIT, the dimensions DO NOT show up... RMB again and there is no option to "SHOW DIMENSION" that occurs on features with "sections" like sweeps... Even a simple round at the very end of the part, won't let me change the radius until I actually EDIT DEFINITION... any ideas why??? Or how to fix this behavior...

thanks in advance...

dustin
1-Newbie
(To:pdkoren)

I'm not sure about the dimension layer, but geometry I can understand. In drawing mode, I will use as many skeleton sketches and datums as I can for dimensioning as they are less prone to causing dimension failures in the future should geometry change.

This is particularly important when creating ordinate dimensions. If either of your first 2 attachment points in an ordinate system is compromised, your entire system fails and you cannot simply edit the attachment of the 0 point, one it req'd to delete and start over. Also, it denotes your design intent much more readily, avoiding the issue of selecting an inappropriate line by mistake which is 0.03125" off from your target. Worse yet, inappropriate geometry which moves or disappears on you.

Dimensioning to non-goemetry is much easier if all geometry is hidden. I actually have a default layer which includes all parts and assemblies other than skeleton models for this reason. (I should note here that I do not have access to AAX, so we use a plethora of work arounds for top down design).

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags