cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

surfacing

Mickyd1
1-Newbie

surfacing

Hi

I'm trying to create a small surface on a large surface for machining.I've created a sketch on a plane then copied and pasted the surface i require then projected the sketch onto that surface,I then tried to trim the surface but the trim option is greyed out,I must be doing something wrong

Thanks mick

8 REPLIES 8
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mickyd1)

Michael,

mill window is available for surfacing if that would work for you? you could create a window of the small surface area you are trying to machine. same as your sketch.

Steve

Hi Steve

My surface is on a steep angle and as hopeing to use cutline surfacing so I can just use a normal step over. In mill windows it steps down to much

Thanks

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Mick,

just take out the step down with a dash(-) it should just make one pass on the surface.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:SteveLucas)

Mick,

Here is an example surfacing with a window I am talking about with a steep wall. Just set the step depth to a dash and it will only make one pass. I use it all the time.

surface+with+window.JPG

surface+window+tool+on+.JPG

surface+window+tool+inside.JPG

Thanks Steve

That does work but was just trying a different way by just creating a small patch surface. I projected a sketch onto the surface but don't know how to trim surface leaving just a small surface.

Thanks mick

gkoch
1-Newbie

Just a simple thought:

Did you project the sketch directly onto solid surfaces? Then you will not be able to trim, as it would "open" your solid.

Make sure you copy the surfaces you want to trim and then project the sketch onto the copied surfaces (quilt). If the sketch is closed or ends on the surface boundaries, it should work.

Mickyd1
1-Newbie
(To:gkoch)

Thanks for your help Gunter I will try that

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

mick,

this is how I would do what you are trying. I would copy the surface then extrude a surface through the copy, then trim to get the inside of the copied/ trimmed surface.

surface+extrude.JPG

surface+extrude1.JPG

surface_extrude2.JPG

hope this helps.

Steve

Top Tags