cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

varying thickness in helical sweep

apatil-5
1-Newbie

varying thickness in helical sweep

In a particular instance to develop screw elevator i have used helical sweep.

The thickness of the elevator switches from 2mm to 3mm at a particular height.

How should i hit this situation?

Please help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:apatil-5)

I don't think I fully understand what you are asking, but it sounds like you should read about the Graph feature. It's pretty good, although it would be better if we had C3 curve continuity in Sketcher.

Ankeet,

Not knowing what version of ProE/Wildfire/Creo, it is difficult to recommend a solution.  From the brief description you have, I am guessing that you are either looking to vary the pitch, or the profile width (or both).  If you have access to the Precision LMS system, the topic you are looking for would be covered in the WF 4 to Creo 2.0 or WF 5 to Creo 2.0 training classes under Helical Sweep Enhancements (in book T3900-390-02, this starts in Module 3 on page 28).

There are a few ways to do this but I am going to suggest using a wrap function so you can easily manage the transition from a 2mm pitch to a 3mm pitch.

You would create a flat sketch of the profile and wrap it around a cylinder.  Then you can sweep along the wrapped curve.

More on this method at the link below:

Closed and Ground Spring - Alternative to Helical Sweep

I'm not a fan of the helical sweep as it doesn't offer enough control. I am also not a fan of wrapping a sketched datum curve because the part keeps the extents (at least when I last checked) of that curve. These extents can be a great deal larger than final part - 10 to 50 times larger.

I prefer to control this with graphs and driving a feature using an equation based on those graphs. See One method to make wound springs for an example of the flexibility available from this combination.

Top Tags