cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

views outside drawing border

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

views outside drawing border

One of our engineers has placed many views outside the drawing borders to pull detail and section views from. I am saying it is a bad drafting practice but he insists he has valid reasons to do so,

I would like to hear the opinion of others who do large drawings. This is a plant layout design and has about 10 sheets to the file.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

Maybe he doesn't know how to do partial views? Or feels a section view has to be a projection view on the same drawing sheet?

I've done it a handful of times for odd reasons but definitely not part of a normal day to day thing.

Sometimes just to have a system generated detail view callout, which I can't remember why I thought that was so important that i couldn't just make a note.

I do this when I absolutely have to. One example was a complex drilling fixture with a large number of holes defined via a tooling ball and multiple angles, etc. Vector directions based upon complex fuselage shape. It was far more logical for me to build a table of said dimensional values that I extracted from a bunch of "off-screen" views, than trying to use standard type dimensions on the drawing. Instead of a double-digit paged drawing I was able to handle the definition with three sheets.

Was making the parts fun? Well, that's a story for another day.

I have seen this kind of thing done by folks who don't seem to understand partial views or auxiliary views, which is bothersome, or even what I'd call "view hoarding" where they move the views out but don't just delete them because "maybe I'll need that view in the future".

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Generally I will figure out all the views I want for a drawing (sections, auxiliary, detail, etc.) and put them outside of the format on the first sheet, and do all my dimensioning there, so I can easily move dims from one view to the other, before moving the views to the sheets I want.  Great also for assemblies so that I can move the repeat region bubbles around from view to view before moving the view to the sheets I want.  For auxiliary views sometime you want to rotate the view, which you can't, so, I'll do that just to get the viewing arrows and create a fake aux view, then erase the real aux view, and put it outside of the border.

I would agree that just having all kinds of views outside of the border for no good reason is useless and bad practice, but there are times when I have to put an erased view there.  Even though it won't print if inside the border, I like to move it outside of the border to clean up the sheet.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

What are some of the reasons he gives for putting them outside the border?  In general, it is poor practice to "hide" views outside the border.  If they are used to create other views, how does the viewer determine what the views represent?  I have at times created 2-3 extra views, no dimensions or notes, to get to the needed auxiliary view.  But the views are needed to show what the resultant view represents.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags