cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

why this part does not shell at the given thickness of 0.13?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

the drawing pdf and the part file has been attched...the video is there on

http://www.e-cognition.net/pages/Servo_Cover-01.htm

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
19 REPLIES 19

You haven't created the draft or round features around the bolt holes. Works fine if you first put these in before the shell.

Shell is a seriously deficient command. It had absolutely no hints as to why things work... and when things fail. It either is or isn't functional for your needs.

it might be a deficient command ..but it is a very important tool for design..wake up PTC!

Today I got the "annual" -how we doin'- survey from PTC. I really don't think they get it.

I do appreciate people like E-Cognition for their excellent contributions to the usability of PTC's products.

Every time I review such demonstrations I learn something I long forgot or never grasped.

Why PTC doesn't take that level of interest in new users is beyond me. I see a lot of hype videos that everyone can access, but this kind of in depth teaching just isn't there. Just fixing the help system (as they promised to do! ...and failed!) and adding some serious context sensitive help could really be a game changer.

i would also like to see...the exact reason for a failure of a particular feature in CREO.....not just some vague answers...like the "shell"...just does not tell what went wrong.....

it took them 18 months from pro|engineer wildfire 4.0 to 5.0...and the best they did was....destroy the drawing module.....who gave them that advice...i wonder?

If you click on preview in the Shell command the troubleshooter pops up and shows the following information. At least it's some indication.

Failed+shell.jpg

Antonius correctly pointed out..i did not give the draft hence the shell feature failed.

I am using pro|e wildfire 4.0...so here the shell feature simply fails..no information given.

My answer was intended for the comment "i would also like to see...the exact reason for a failure of a particular feature in CREO.....not just some vague answers...like the "shell"...just does not tell what went wrong"

At least you know that there are some improvements in Creo 2.0...

yes i know your answer was for that comment...agreed that there is some improvement...but much more needs to be done...i guess...

Magnus, thanks for the correction. I never found this dialog useful because by default, it just shows you the dialog and no highlights. I read the note below and it normally says you have to change your approach or your design.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:rohit_rajan)

whatshell.JPG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

It failed on my M040 Creo 2.0 as well until I added the draft and rounds.

Do you think maybe PTC fixed the shell feature?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I changed .38 to .385.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Nothing like letting the tool guide your design, huh.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

yeah, shell has been pretty bad for a long time. I rarely need it, though.

Try to change part accuracy from relative to absolute.

servo_cover_acc.png

I tried absolute at .00005 and it still failed. Once I reset the absolute accuracy lower bound to .000001 I could set absolute accuracy to .000015 and it worked. Funny though. After a successful feature creation, I could change the accuracy back to .0001 absolute and regeneration worked. Way too much voodoo behind accuracy!

With double precision, the system should automatically calculate a solution to higher levels when needed. I might accept a warning, but these features shouldn't fail due to accuracy limits.

ok lets make this in solidworks ......and see the difference?....in terms of modelling it

Remember to could the mouse clicks ...and the left hand usage for Ctrl/Alt/and shifts.

Top Tags