cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Can you have side by side drawings of one part?

Dustine
1-Newbie

Can you have side by side drawings of one part?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to put a front of a part and back of a part in the same illustration and was able to add callouts on it. I would think you would be able to duplicate the part and have it beside it the opposite way. Can you do this in Creo Illustrate 3.0? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
agarland
15-Moonstone
(To:Dustine)

HI,

The easiest way to do this is to use an inset view looking on the back of the part.

Inset views are available in Creo Illustrate 3 and the ability to add callouts was added in M020.

The border on the inset can be turned off to give the impression that you have two versions of the same part looking at it from opposite directions.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I haven't thought of using insets. How do you move the model or the inset after you set it to rotate one of them to be the opposite side? I can't seem to find a way to move the figure without moving the inset.

agarland
15-Moonstone

Set your 'Figure View' looking in the desired direction:

Image01.PNG

Navigate to the desired (opposite) view and add an inset:

Image02.PNG

Resize the inset and turn off the border and leader, then return to the figure view:

Image03.PNG

To adjust the inset position you need to 'Unloc' it first (either in the inset ribbon or the inset RMB).

For some reason, it won't go to my set Figure view. When I start, I set the figure view by using Figure View-->Use Current View. Then after I set the inset and click Figure View-->Go to Figure View, it seems to set itself to whatever is current, not what I set the Current view is without me hitting that button. Is there some kind of preference I need to turn off or on? Do you have to do these in Different Figures like figure one for one side and make a new figure to set the inset? Thank you for your help.

agarland
15-Moonstone

You only need to create the one figure.

There are no preferences for the figure view, so I'm not sure why it's not remembering.
You can of course manually reorientate the main view once you have set the inset view up.

How do you manually reorient it without moving the inset? When I select the left side the right side automatically selects and moves too.

2014-11-11_12-18-10.png

agarland
15-Moonstone

Ok, by the looks of it you are translating the model which will affect both the main view and inset.

What you need to do is change the camera view in the main view rather than move the model.

An inset view is essentially just another camera looking at the same model, so what you are trying to do is add an inset looking at one end of the model and then move the main view camera to look at the other end.

You can use the orientation options in the home ribbon to easily navigate between set views also.

Thank you very much! That worked!

Top Tags