cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Assign temperature to part

Nussic
2-Guest

Assign temperature to part

Hello,

I am using the CFD to simulate the airflow going through an assembly. Inside the assembly there is a heating coil, now I am wondering if there is a way to simulate the heating up of the airflow? Is it possible to assign a temperature to individual parts (heating coil) in CFD mode? 

Regards, Andreas

3 REPLIES 3
cfdgeek
12-Amethyst
(To:Nussic)

Hi Nussic,

Yes, you can add heat module to the simulation project.  To consider temperature changes in air, we need to switch to ideal gas law, you can chose domain items from the simulation tree and change density option from constant to ideal gas law.

After that, you can create a new boundary condition from those surfaces you want to apply temperature. And change heat parameter to specified temperature. 

Josthms
3-Visitor
(To:cfdgeek)

Why should a new boundary condition be created for the heating coil? Would it not be sufficient to add a specified temperature to the existing part?

I hope the question makes sense! 

I believe either way will work.  It depends on how you are modelling/controlling the heater.  If you control the heat generation, (Watts) then model as a constant (wattage) heat source.  If you have temperature control feedback that changes the heat flow to maintain that temperature in the heater, then you can set a temperature boundary condition as suggested.  In the constant temperature heater case, you would monitor the heat flux needed to maintain that heater temperature so you can size your heat source appropriately.  I think constant watts might be a more common way to do heating since control equipment probably adds more cost and is only done when necessary.

Top Tags