cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Create 2D layout/sketches in 3D environment

wkimping
1-Newbie

Create 2D layout/sketches in 3D environment

Hi all, good day.

I am creating 2D sketches/layout in the Part (.prt) environment. This allow me to stack different component sketches in just a lightweight file, and all I need is to visualize the interference among these stacked-up sketches.

All went well so far, the only problem is that I need to manipulate/edit each sketch with extra caution, due to the large quantities of dimensions and relations showing in edit mode. Anyone know a Pro/engineer function that can group a 2D sketch under a block and locking all dimensions (and perhaps relations as well)?

This would be similar to the AutoCAD block feature, where we can move the block freely to anywhere, and explode the block when need to edit a particular set of dimensions.

Capture.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Using Rotate Resize command in sketcher you can control your entities in such a way that they seem to be in a block, without extra caution.

rotateresize2.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You could try using symbols

In the symbols, you can create variable text

You could even create variable "imagery"

refer to the surface finish symbols

Thanks for the feedback, Ron.

I have been using the symbols in the Drawing (.drw) file, it is a very nice tool; but the use of symbols doesn't reflect the actual sketch dimension, or allow the designer/user to edit the sketch lines. I am not sure if 3D symbols work well in this case either.

I have attached below screen shot for better understanding about what I am working on.

Capture.JPG

So how does this sketch differ from another sketch?  I'm not grasping the concept you are attempting.

From what I am gathering so far, it seems you are trying to put multiple parts inside one file.

Perhaps a family table might work

ron

Using Rotate Resize command in sketcher you can control your entities in such a way that they seem to be in a block, without extra caution.

rotateresize2.jpg

Hi James, I guess the Rotate Resize feature is only available to CREO Parametric or newer version.

This might be the easiest way to manipulate dropped sketches. Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

It's and object-action only type of command. Meaning, you have to preselect some entities first, then it won't be greyed out.

Hi James, thanks for the point out.

I just found the Rotate Resize command, and I could use it along with Dynamic Edit.

Top Tags