cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Creo Simulate - Advice on constraining model for mechanical stress calculation

EddyVE
10-Marble

Creo Simulate - Advice on constraining model for mechanical stress calculation

Hi all,

Using Creo 4.0 

I would like to ask some advice about how you would constrain this (red brownish) U shaped bracket for the shown load situation.  

EddyVE_0-1680260739259.png

The bracket has 2 holes with a pin in it (so it can rotate). Both holes are loaded with force F/2.

Force F is applied on a bolt that is placed in a screwthreaded hole in the bracket.

I have modeled the bracket like this:

EddyVE_1-1680260993079.png

For the pin hole, I use a bearing load with force F/2.

I use a displacement constrain to implement symmetry on the cutting surface:

EddyVE_2-1680261170539.png

I use a surface region to constrain in the axial direction of the screw hole. (cylindrical CS).

EddyVE_3-1680261242738.png

This model calculates fine, but as can be expected, I have a stress peak at the side of the surface region.

Not sure if that is entirely realistic.

EddyVE_4-1680261359227.png

A slightly different approach is to exchange the screw hole by an 'embedded' bolt, and constrain the tip of the 'bolt':

EddyVE_5-1680261438199.png

This results in a (lower) stress peak at the indicated spot below. Perhaps a bit more realistic than my first attempt above.

EddyVE_6-1680261561504.png

Would you model this in a different way?

PS.  Part file attached in case you want to have a go at it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

my suggestion attached, still without mesh refinement

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ChrisKaswer
15-Moonstone
(To:EddyVE)

To keep things as simple as possible and model the best set of BCs, I would constrain the screw hole from your first example, in both the radial and axial directions, and remove the small washer shaped constraint region meant to act as the screw's constraint. This will closely-enough mimic the situation the screw will impart on the threaded hole - it limits it's deflection radially and axially. More accurately, the screw thread engagement is not along the entire length of the hole, so you could play with that region a bit too. Of course, keep the symmetry condition on the cut half. You will always get a result with concentrated stresses, as in your first set-up, due to the fact that your constraint boundaries have a sharp edge to them and create singularities. Removing these assumptions with actual parts in contact is the only way to improve the accuracy and minimize (almost eliminate) these BC stress risers, but that is a more involved model.

I hope this helps!

Hi Chris

I made the changes as you suggested, by placing an axial and radial constraint on the screw hole itself. Did not really make a significantdifference.

I also limited the depth of the screw hole (actually the depth of the constraint on the screw hole). Also not a huge difference:

EddyVE_0-1680266060115.png

EddyVE_1-1680266093052.png

Adding rounds on the hole edges, just for the heck of it ...:

EddyVE_2-1680266139237.png

The stress is concentrated on that edge, right at the symmetry plane.
Let's place the symmetry on the other plane...:

EddyVE_3-1680266346580.pngEddyVE_4-1680266368879.pngEddyVE_5-1680266431349.png

Let's round those edges again and use finer mesh size there:

EddyVE_6-1680267160071.png

Still high stress concentrations there. But perhaps realistic ....

EddyVE_7-1680267216279.png

ChrisKaswer
15-Moonstone

Unfortunately, we'll never eliminate stress risers at BC edges, so results will always need to be observed with that "filter". Your vM values may not have changed much as a straight-up number..,but also take a look at how the stresses are distributed because of the change in BCs. Also be careful when comparing results with and without rounding AND, always look at maximum principal stress and its distribution along with an animated magnitude displacement result. This will indicate where your material is in compression and tension (min prin can be reviewed as well) - this will have very likely changed from your original model and it can often provide a significant insight to how your part will behave. Remember, von Mises is an "absolute numeric" stress value and does not indicate compression or tension.

my suggestion attached, still without mesh refinement

EddyVE
10-Marble
(To:skunks)

Thanks for your suggestion! 

Interesting idea to model the screwthread so detailed!

Unfortunately, I don't have the required Simulate license to run a simulation on it ...

EddyVE_0-1680271575189.png

OK, V2 att.

EddyVE
10-Marble

Thank you so much! That worked!

Strange that Max Principal so small is in the spot where VM peaks ...

EddyVE_0-1680273894083.pngEddyVE_1-1680273923310.png

"...Strange that Max Principal so small is in the spot where VM peaks ..."

please look for Min Principal

EddyVE
10-Marble

"please look for Min Principal"

Oops! Right you are!

VM            :  168 MPa
Max Principal :  155 MPa (on different location)
Min Principal : -176 MPa (same location as VM peak stress)

EddyVE_0-1680290464902.png

EddyVE
10-Marble

Redistributing material also helps ...

EddyVE_0-1680276181525.png

And stress relief ~10% less stress.  😀

SweetPeasHub_0-1680712084003.png

SweetPeasHub_1-1680712112027.png

Stress relief features.... Great suggestion! I will check that out!

Keep those ideas coming..! 😊

Top Tags