cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Editing model source code to avoid Creo crash

ad'errico-prove
1-Newbie

Editing model source code to avoid Creo crash

Hello,

I have a top assembly that is crashing Creo every time I open it.

I highly suspect that the cause of this crash is due to parts assembled with a reference pattern. This has happened a couple of times before and I'm getting used to recognizing it. I can open all the subassemblies and parts without any crash. I can also roll back to a previous iteration of my top assembly it opens fine.

The problem now is that I lose a considerable amount of info because I have to roll back pretty far.

Here is where I'm asking for your help. Is there a way where I can edit the top assembly and remove the reference patterns without opening it in Creo?

I was thinking about editing the source code of the top assembly, but I don't how to get a program to decipher the .asm files. I've tried opening the file with a fresh install of Notepad++ and the body of the file is nonsense.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Then you're stuck.  You'll want to open an SPR and have me patch it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You don't modify the file, no.  What you may be able to do:

File>Open>[assembly]>Open Representation...>Define>[name]>Open

That will open your assembly in a newly defined simplified rep in which all the models are excluded.  You could then remove unwanted pattern/component, and then set Master Rep to get the good components.

For some reason, Creo crashes even with that option. I follow your steps and it crashes after giving a name to the simplified rep:

File>Open>[assembly]>Open Representation (Master Rep)>Define...>[name]>Open>Crash

Then you're stuck.  You'll want to open an SPR and have me patch it.

Great!

How do I open an SPR?

What version and build code are you using?

We had issues with the earlier build codes of Creo Parametric 3.0 opening assembly files after components had been replaced and with assemblies with lots of components suppressed.

The same assemblies that crashed in the earlier build code opened fine in later build codes.  We moved from M030 to M120 to help eliminate this issue (as well as other issues).

You may simply want to try the latest build code.

Regards,

Dan N.

I'm running the 3.103.0 version on M040.

I'm not familiar with Creo's build codes, but since you mentioned it, I'll look into it.

This is odd, I looked up the Datecode release dates and M040 doesn't seem to exist.

Screen shot of my Creo info:

Release date from http://support.ptc.com/cgi/support/apps/sft_upd_dsp/sft_upd_dsp.pl

Go to  http://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/PTC_Product_Calendar.htm#RANGE!A231 for the release calendar. I think you are looking at what is available for software download. M040 may have been pulled for some reason, it's not available.

Top Tags