cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Force and moment on a cylindrical shaft

opavot
1-Newbie

Force and moment on a cylindrical shaft

Dear All I have to simulate a cylindrical shat with a force and a moment For the force I use a cartesian coordinate system (CS) ,for the moment I found in the PTC datas base , I have touse a cylindrical coordinate system My first problem is that I don't understand why I have to use a cylindrical CS to define the moment ? My second is if I use a cartesian CS for the force and a cylindrical CS for the moment , for sure I will found a wrong result , so can you explain how I have to creat my simulation model Many thanks for your help Olivier
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
opavot
1-Newbie
(To:opavot)

Hello everybody I saw my question don't inspire you a lot , but if one of you can help me about this... Thank a lot Olivier

"Olivier Pavot" wrote:

Hello everybody I saw my question don't inspire you a lot , but if one of you can help me about this... Thank a lot Olivier

Hello Rick On my part , I have a force and a moment *For the force I use cartesian coordinate system *for the moment , I use a cylindrical coordinate system because it's a recommentation from the PTC data base knowledge my first question is to know if I can use a cartesian coordinate system to defind a moment , then I will have the same reference for force and moment My second question is to know why PTC recommande to use a cylindrical coordinate system to defind a moment , is there any special reason ? Many thank for your help Olivier

"Olivier Pavot" wrote:

Hello Rick On my part , I have a force and a moment *For the force I use cartesian coordinate system *for the moment , I use a cylindrical coordinate system because it's a recommentation from the PTC data base knowledge my first question is to know if I can use a cartesian coordinate system to defind a moment , then I will have the same reference for force and moment My second question is to know why PTC recommande to use a cylindrical coordinate system to defind a moment , is there any special reason ? Many thank for your help Olivier

It's easier to define a point on the surface of a cylinder with cylindrical coordinates. If the orgions of the two CS are at the same point, I don't think you will have any conversion problems. rick you could use Cartesian for both, but it's easier to use cylindrical coordinates to define a point on a cylindrical surface. I don't think the results will be wrong if you use the same origion for both CS. just a guess, make sure you verify this.

Hello Rick Thank for explanations , according your answer I used cartesian coordinates system to define a moment anf I found same results as the one with cylindrical Olivier
Top Tags