cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Help setting up a simulation to show stability

conorlg
3-Visitor

Help setting up a simulation to show stability

I am new to using Creo 2.0 and am looking for some help on this issue.

I would like to show that my assembly will not topple over when placed on a 15 degree tilt

Is there a method in Creo for me to show this

Assembly is a tall cart on casters

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:conorlg)

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying the problem, or maybe I'm not: Isn't this a simple matter of finding out where the center of gravity of the part is with respect to the "bottom most" foot? If the CG is not beyond this position it is okay?

I'd definitely look up some similar calculations with online resources to see if you're on the right track. I don't think a Creo simulation is necessary, only a somewhat accurate "analysis" to find the center of gravity.

I have found the center of gravity but am unsure how i would use this to prove that the cart will not fall over on a 15 degree tilt. I will look into the online resources you are mentioning

Try this for some basics.

https://www.slideshare.net/danmicksee/centre-of-gravity-and-stability

Also note this is just talking about static cases not the additional tipping forces due to dynamic conditions such as turning a corner or pushing the cart to accelerate it in a direction, stopping the cart suddenly, softness/flex of the wheels and structure, etc.  Maybe in these more complex cases it is a benefit to do simulations.  The tricky part will be deciding how safe it is or needs to be not how close to the tipping point it can go.

Please let the community know what you are thinking, what aspects/scenarios are a concern and someone might be able to demonstrate a technique.  My initial thought is that MDO (mechanism dynamics) is a good choice, at least if you want to make animations etc. vs hand calculations and free body diagrams, equilibrium calculations, etc.

Top Tags