cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to get accurate displacement

creosucks
4-Participant

How to get accurate displacement

I'm working on a model of an inverted pendulum with most of the materials being steel or aluminum. A force of 1mN is applied to the pendulum, however in creo simulate, it show a very large displacement of the model which doesn't seem correct to me. Does anyone have any advice on this?

5 REPLIES 5

If you're talking about the displacement that is shown by the simulation, i.e. for animation, those depictions are always grossly exaggerated to make the regions of displacement obvious. The physical calculated displacement could be very small, but still "appear" ridiculous in the views.

creosucks
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

Is there any way to fix this? I'm trying to find the displacment of the object given a certain applied force.

The visual displacement shown in animations and such is just a "cartoon", an exaggeration to accentuate the displacements. If you check the displacement value in the scale on the side of the display, you'll get the actual value. To diminish the visual appearance of the displacement, you change the scale or factor or whatever it calls it when you are setting up what to display. Takes a bit of playing to get the "right" value, but again, it's the actual numerical values of displacement that matter, not the deformed shape.

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:creosucks)

Can you provide some pictures and some more background?

An inverted pendulum conjures up the picture of something critically stable when exactly vertical.

Thanks

better (?) Mechanism Dynamics:

regards

paul

Top Tags