cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Measuring Volumes of Parts Listed in Excel

CL_7152731
4-Participant

Measuring Volumes of Parts Listed in Excel

I have a list of ~500 part numbers in Microsoft Excel, which I need to document the volume of. Is there a way I can have Creo Parametric use the part number list in Excel to open the parts from Windchill, measure the volume and write the volume in the Excel file? 

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:CL_7152731)

You might be able to do something with trail files.  I know this can be done with SmartAsssembly (3rd party add-on).  Another option might be Nitro-BOM or Nitro-Cell.  Both of those are free and they connect Creo to Excel to do stuff.

http://simplifiedlogic.com/nitro-bom

Hi,

unfortunately there is no simple solution available OOTB.

Trail file method enables you to open ~500 parts and compute their mass properties. The results is ~500 files with .m_p extension.

3rd line in .m_p file contains requested information ... VOLUME = 1.2500000e+05 MM^3. You have to retrieve this information from ~500 .m_p files.

You can merge ~500 .m_p files into single file, import this file into Excel and use Excel functionality (PowerQuery) to retrieve requested information. For example:

MartinHanak_0-1677697888415.png

Martin Hanák

If you can do Excel vba, I think this can be done with the vbapi toolkit that is included in the Creo installation file. I have not tried the Windchill retrieval but I remember seeing it in the documentation. There are several examples in the toolkit. I have attached my own variation and it includes a retrieval of mass properties. Once installed the documentation and examples are at a similar path to this. C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 9.0.2.0\Common Files\vbapi. Be sure to follow all the steps getting it installed and configured.

Top Tags