cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Measuring Volumes of Parts Listed in Excel

CL_7152731
4-Participant

Measuring Volumes of Parts Listed in Excel

I have a list of ~500 part numbers in Microsoft Excel, which I need to document the volume of. Is there a way I can have Creo Parametric use the part number list in Excel to open the parts from Windchill, measure the volume and write the volume in the Excel file? 

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:CL_7152731)

You might be able to do something with trail files.  I know this can be done with SmartAsssembly (3rd party add-on).  Another option might be Nitro-BOM or Nitro-Cell.  Both of those are free and they connect Creo to Excel to do stuff.

http://simplifiedlogic.com/nitro-bom

Hi,

unfortunately there is no simple solution available OOTB.

Trail file method enables you to open ~500 parts and compute their mass properties. The results is ~500 files with .m_p extension.

3rd line in .m_p file contains requested information ... VOLUME = 1.2500000e+05 MM^3. You have to retrieve this information from ~500 .m_p files.

You can merge ~500 .m_p files into single file, import this file into Excel and use Excel functionality (PowerQuery) to retrieve requested information. For example:

MartinHanak_0-1677697888415.png

Martin Hanák

If you can do Excel vba, I think this can be done with the vbapi toolkit that is included in the Creo installation file. I have not tried the Windchill retrieval but I remember seeing it in the documentation. There are several examples in the toolkit. I have attached my own variation and it includes a retrieval of mass properties. Once installed the documentation and examples are at a similar path to this. C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 9.0.2.0\Common Files\vbapi. Be sure to follow all the steps getting it installed and configured.

Top Tags