cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Puzzled with Swept Blend failure

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Puzzled with Swept Blend failure

I am using the Swept Blend option to create a side rail to a part.

The 1st side I had no troubles with.

The last side however does not want to fall in all the way.

As my picture below shows I have no issue with getting 3 sections to place.

Swept Blend 1.JPG

When I try to apply the final section to the end surface segments I get a failure.

Swept Blend 2.JPG

I have double checked the important conditions such as that the edges of the final surfaces do fall on the drive curve.  Even though there is a warning message at the bottom of the screen I have matched the number of curve segments with all the sections.  Additionally I have tried the Swept Blend starting from what here is shown as section 4 to section 1.  The Swept Blend from the other direction also fails at the very last section.

Would anyone know what is causing the last section failure?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:pimm)

This is interesting;

When I apply just the start and end sections to the drive curve my Swept Blend succeeds.

Swept Blend 3.JPG

There must be something that distorts outside of the Swept Blend's acceptable range.

I need all of the sections, so I'm still looking for how to get this to work.

pimm
14-Alexandrite

After about a half day of struggling it appears that I've solved my issue.

I changed my section plane control to constant normal condition.  It doesn't appear to distort my results; the result looks clean.

I'm sorry for posting and solving my own problem.  Sometimes bringing a question to the open unlocks the thinking process.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Paul, have you tried setting your accuracy to "absolute" and the value to, say, .001 or lower?  Sometimes that tweak, either up or down in accuracy, makes the features work.  sometimes the math needs a little more fudge factor (less accuracy/larger number), sometimes it needs less (more accuracy/smaller number).  I had a result like this just the other day with rounds.  I actually had to back off the accuracy a little to make it all work.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:Patriot_1776)

Frank; yes I have noticed that accuracy sometimes does play in with results.  I personally go with .0005, but sometimes I adjust this even tighter to lets say .0004.  It unfortunately doesn't allow a solution with the default settings with this specific problem.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Just today I was doing a bunch of rounds on a ribbed casting, and all but 2 if the rounds in a single set of a single round feature (using "Intent Edge") worked.....although the mirror image rounds on the other side of the part worked.  So, I changed the Absolute Accuracy from .0001" to .0002" and BOOM! it all worked.  Weird, right?

hmanan
1-Newbie

I think its okay if you solve this issue yourself, it would help other people who have similar issues in the future.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:hmanan)

There are a lot of buttons to push that influence results.  This can be challenging when there isn't an apparent way to get from point A to point B.

Hopefully this would be helpful to someone in the future.

Top Tags