cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Searching Tool (STRG+F) in PTC Creo - How it works?

hhagedorn
6-Contributor

Hello PTC user,

the search function (STRG+F) in PTC Creo or ProEngineer is mine and certainly well known to you. Basically, I get clear with it and find also my things which I have to look for.

However, I am currently trying to define predefined searches, which I would then save as a rule. As a rule in layer management, to define a layer master.

To properly include and exclude the various KE's, surfaces, references, cosmetics, notes, etc., the associated rule must also be properly defined and excluded. Otherwise, any of the elements not belonging to the layer will be added to the layer. And right here is my problem.

Because somehow the settings of the search do not really open up to me. In particular, I mean the "Look for" and "Look by" drop-down boxes. Can someone explain these fields to someone more precisely, because even the PTC Consultant who was in our house, could not explain to our satisfaction. In this context, I also wonder why a logical rule for Creo is wrong or can not be generated.

I hope you can give me a help, because this makes me crazy.
Heiko
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:hhagedorn)

Hello Heiko,

Ah, you are right - I see I missed the difference between A-* and A_* in your rules.  In general I think you are in the right track and only missed the difference between extern copy geom and copy geom.

For layer 033_THREAD_SURFACES, you didn't have a rule to exclude quilt thread surfaces from extern copy geom objects, like this:

FOLIENMASTER_033.PNG

And so the quilt F10 was showing in your layer.  With the above rule set, it does not.

By the way, I want to share a tip with you about copying layers from this "start-part" to other parts that do not have such layers defined.

You can copy and paste layers (and their rules)!  Just select your layers in this start-part, copy (CTRL+C - I guess it's STRG+C in your keyboard), then activate the part without layers, open it's layer tree and paste (CTRL+V in american keyboards).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

I think it would be better if you describe by words what items you need to include into a layer using rule. Then I can prepare layer rule for you.

MH

Martin Hanák

With "Look for" you choose what you want to get and with "Look by" you tell Creo how to go about it.

"Look by" determines which options are available in the tabbed section of the dialogue.

Layer rules at my place of work mainly look for features with certain attributes (type is equal to X, has thread, name is not equal to X, ...)

I figured out that this causes some small issues when using inheritance, so I tuned my rules for datums and threads to look for the datums and threads themselves instead of the features containing them.

hhagedorn
6-Contributor

Martin Hanak

Hugo Hinterberger

Hello to you two,

thanks you for your answers.

I guess this discussion will take longer. (Hoping this information will also need somebody else).

Basically, this discussion focused on the question of how the search tool works.

However, this question is based on layer rules and layer mastering, as Martin Hanak correctly recognized.

Layer mastering exactly on this topic I'm working. Here I have more than one question that concerns me.

And here I have my first questions:

A.) Much is talked about the definitions of the layer rules, but no one has provided their layer rules (as a download) so far. Sure, there are different rules for each company, but the function and the tools are the same at Creo?

B.) The definition of the layer rules I get more or less. However, it makes me have problems when I have defined a rule and then have some features when creating or importing into layers that they do not belong to. Some of them are also available twice. So in 2 layer at the same time. This can be seen in the example. The axis A_12 has been imported as a copy geometry. Unfortunately, this is now in the layer "033_THREAD_SURFACES" and "012_AXIS". I would like, however, that this axis (like all references) is located in layer "051_COPY_GEOMETRY_REFERENZES" and only in this layer. From all other layers this axis should disappear.

The same is it with the Quilt_F9, this one should not be shown in the layer "033_THREAD_SURFACES" because it is a surface from copy geometry.

C.) What is the basic opinion about the number and breakdown of layers? How far in detail does it make sense?

layer_structure.JPG

Sorry for asking that many questions.

Please note, the layer rules are not yet finished in this model.

Hi,

I included axis into 051* layer and remove it from 012* and 033* layers. I cannot comment A.) and C.).

MH

Martin Hanák
psobejko
12-Amethyst

Regarding your point (A) - there are attached files in several messages that have defined within them layers with rules.  However, I do not recall a posting made by someone specifically to announce that "these are their rules".  But that isn't very surprising considering that:

- like you said, different companies use different rules.

- copying without understanding is of little value.

- people should not give away their company's property.

Having briefly looked at your file, I am confused, for example, about the rules defined for layer 012_AXIS:

folienmaster_012_axis_layer.png

Why the duplicated rules about Name != A_?

And based on your expectation that axes from copy geometry will not show up, you've defined it just fine.

However, your model does not contain copy geom, it contains extern copy geom, so you have to capture your intent with a rule like this:

folienmaster_012_axis_layer_rev.png

Like most things in Creo, it all mostly works - as long you know PTC's terminology and methods, and you specify very exactly what you want

Also make use of the "Preview Results" function in the rule editor!

Here's an interesting discussion about layer rules: Sketched Points and Layer Rules

hhagedorn
6-Contributor

Paul Sobejko

Dear Paul,

basically I thank you for your answer. And also for the hints that there are supposedly increased contributions, which deal with this topic with examples. I could also find posts, but I had the guess that my questions were never so posed. But no matter. For the attached link, I will look more closely. Thanks for this.

Regarding the note with the layer 012_Axis and the still missing copy geometry you have completely right.

As for the reference to the standard axes (A**), I must tell you that you did not recognize that there are axes with "-" and axes with "_". Therefore, it seems that these are apparently doubled.

Let's see how far I get to this topic. Somehow it seems to me, that it always throws me back, if I had a viable way.

Despite all this, thanks for all your answers, and a happy week.

Heiko (Germany)

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Hello Heiko,

Ah, you are right - I see I missed the difference between A-* and A_* in your rules.  In general I think you are in the right track and only missed the difference between extern copy geom and copy geom.

For layer 033_THREAD_SURFACES, you didn't have a rule to exclude quilt thread surfaces from extern copy geom objects, like this:

FOLIENMASTER_033.PNG

And so the quilt F10 was showing in your layer.  With the above rule set, it does not.

By the way, I want to share a tip with you about copying layers from this "start-part" to other parts that do not have such layers defined.

You can copy and paste layers (and their rules)!  Just select your layers in this start-part, copy (CTRL+C - I guess it's STRG+C in your keyboard), then activate the part without layers, open it's layer tree and paste (CTRL+V in american keyboards).

Top Tags