cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Spring Stiffness Coeficient units in Mechanism

ptc-757047
1-Newbie

Spring Stiffness Coeficient units in Mechanism

How do you change the units of the stiffness coefficient for a spring? The units are lbm/sec^2 and I can't change it...I would expect the units to be lbm/in. Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

In WF5, and prior, you cannot change the spring rate unit within MDO, you get these units as a function of the unit system your assembly is in. All derived units are based on these fundamental units used by your selection. A value with units of lbm/sec^2 is a force/length unit. And 1.0 lbm/sec^2 = 2.59E-3 lbf/in. If you must use the Imperial system, you'll need to change your assembly's unit system to a force-based set, like "IPS" (in, lbf, s) and you'll have lbf/in for all springs. Or, in metric, use the "mmNs" set and you'll have springs in N/mm for a rate.

In Creo Parametric 2, you can change the spring unit in the dashboard, independent from the assembly unit system. I think this was done in Creo 1 as well, but I don't recall.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Top Tags