cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Thrust on a propeller

Usman
4-Participant

Thrust on a propeller

Hi all, 

I have been trying hard for the last few days to calculate thrust on a propeller, but failed miserably in every attempt. Since there are no detailed videos showing this (or i couldn't find them), can anyone show or tell me here how to do it.

I have tried using rotating wall and non-inertial frame. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cfdgeek
12-Amethyst
(To:Usman)

I checked out your model, You only have a propeller there. You need to create a disk around your propeller and setup that disk to MRF or rotating domain. And connect this disk to the external domains.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
cfdgeek
12-Amethyst

Hi Are you using CFA or others? for CFA it is pretty easy, you need to use rotating wall and non inertial frame for steady state simulations or moving/sliding mesh for transient simualtions. 

Usman
4-Participant
(To:cfdgeek)

Yes I am using CFA.

I have tried the rotating wall method several times and inspected the streamlines. The streamline instead of exiting the external boundary just keep rotating around the propeller. Moreover the thrust force on the propeller is also zero. I don't know what is it that i am doing wrong

The boundary conditions i used were:

• On front of propeller i used specified pressure inlet (101325 Pa) 
  • On back of propeller i used specified pressure outlet (101325 Pa) 
  • The side boundary were all set to wall. 
Usman
4-Participant

I have been using the rotating wall and non-inertial frame separately and not together . I think this is the mistake i have been making?? 

Usman
4-Participant

I tried again today. It seems that whatever rotational speed value I put in the non-inertial frame the results remain the same. 

The boundary conditions i used were:

• On front of propeller i used specified pressure inlet (101325 Pa) 
  • On back of propeller i used specified pressure outlet (101325 Pa) 
  • The side boundary were all set to wall

Are the boundary conditions wrong or something else? If you can explain the whole process in more detail, it would help me a lot. I have attached the propeller file.

cfdgeek
12-Amethyst

Hi you need to use MRF or moving/sliding mesh with rotating wall boundary condition. Just use rotating wall BC does not work. Please check this webcast posted by Todd. You can follow the steps there. Thanks.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Analysis/Creo-Flow-Analysis-CFD-201-Webcast-Replay/m-p/707431

cfdgeek
12-Amethyst

I checked out your model, You only have a propeller there. You need to create a disk around your propeller and setup that disk to MRF or rotating domain. And connect this disk to the external domains.

Usman
4-Participant

This reply definitely helped, and I tried it.

Thanks a lot ❤️💕

But if you have 5 to 10 minutes free would you be so kind to make a video, just for better understanding 🥺🥺🥺.

Hello . Which package do you use for your simulations. Do i need Creo Flow Analysis Plus to be able to simulate non inertial frames. 

Currently I use Creo Flow Analysis (Basic) and I am not able to set up the parameters here. 

Best Andreas

Top Tags