cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Unwanted regenerations

ptc-877239
1-Newbie

Unwanted regenerations

We are running Creo 2.0, just updated from WF5. It seems to regenerate far more often than previously experienced.

When working on a model in insert mode, when I resume the next feature or features, rather than just resuming the selected features, it regenerates from the beginning. It might be 500 features that regenerate, each and every time I resume something. If I am working on a part that I have just modified, fixing whatever failure that have arisen, this adds quite a lot of time. I can't say this happens on every model I work on, but often enough to be a problem.

When working in an assembly and I want to actuate some component to check for clearance or function. I can drag the component through it's motion. When I close the "Drag Component" dialog box, the regeneration starts. Again, maybe 500 - 1000 features regenerate, on multiple models. I didn't want any component to regenerate, I just wanted to actuate the assembly. It complicates matters if the component I am working with is in insert mode and other components are children of that part. If this is the case, multiple parts will fail, cascading through the assembly. Resuming the all the features of the original part may fix all of the failures in the assembly, but the point is these "failures" weren't really failures at all. it makes it very tricky to work in insert mode with an assembly active.

I have looked for configs for any kind of "auto regen" settings and have turned off anything I have found, but to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a solution?

BTW, I am working in stand-alone mode without Windchill. I don't think that would make a difference, but who knows?

Thanks for your help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the forum, Phong.

I am going to suggest that you have some very intricate dependencies between the part models and the assemblies. There is no reason for a part to regenerate unless top down dependencies exist at the assembly level. Managing dependencies is a critical element in keeping Creo interactive.

The same is true for regenerating parts. There are a few operations that can force an entire regeneration of the part such as changing parameters/relations, but for the most part, it picks up from where the change occurred or the feature is affected. Two things that really lows down part regeneration that I have found are round features and merging of solid bodies (typically pattern count solid features).

Most of the time, computing power will make this process seamless. I use a laptop so I do notice these things. What I find more annoying is that not everything regenerates the 1st time around, but that's another topic.

I don't know if there is a means to delay regeneration. For your case, maybe external simplified reps can lighten the load to some extent by only working with the features you need for your analysis.

Top Tags